General Question

skateangel's avatar

Can college students take AP exams?

Asked by skateangel (321points) August 2nd, 2012

And do you know if California universities would accept AP credit over community college credit, if you’re over the college freshman age? I’ve been trying to figure out quicker ways of getting transfer credit instead of killing myself at community college for the 60 credits. Thanks

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

bolwerk's avatar

I would think so if you can sit for the exam. Don’t know if you can.

However, since you’re out of high school, have you looked into CLEP? It might be more in line with what you’re trying to do. You’d have to check with your target university to see if they’d actually take the credit though.

sinscriven's avatar

If you’re not in high school anymore you can’t take high school courses to retroactively qualify for a higher level class. If you’re smart enough to pass an AP course, then doing the required accuplacer in a community college will put you in the appropriate math course that will put you one class from being transfer ready.

With tuition costs tripling this year, I think it may be economically more reasonable to just do GE at a CC, even at $48/unit.

mrrich724's avatar

@bolwerk Has good advice. Look at CLEP

I “CLEPPED” (which is what we called taking a CLEP test to replace classes, when I was in college a few years ago) Spanish, simply because I needed 2 more credits to graduate. I did so well I got credit for Spanish 1 & 2. I needed 2 credits, I ended up getting 5 or 6 !!!

If I knew this ahead of time, I would have tried to CLEP more tests and saved a bunch of time and money!!

Good luck.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther