General Question

hunterl6772's avatar

Landlord wants to raise the rent by next month with no lease agreement. He lives in Florida the house is in Kentucky with no up keep. Can he do this with a phone call?

Asked by hunterl6772 (7points) September 11th, 2012

The lease expired two years ago. Asked for thing to be maintained at the house, such as boards rotting on the back deck to be replaced, actually fell through, exterminating,windows replaced that are falling out, front porch legally is suppose to have railing on it. But nothing has ever been done. Can he legally raise my rent with a phone call today and wanting to raise it next month.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

chyna's avatar

It looks like he has the legal right to do that here.

ninja_man's avatar

If he has the title to the property he sure can.

lynfromnm's avatar

This phone number is supposed to have answers about landlord-tenant issues in Kentucky – maybe they can explain your rights and options. 513.556.0053
If not, maybe they can offer other resources for you.
I know that many jurisdictions have a Rent Abatement office – you can actually get your rent reduced if a landlord has failed to repair damages that create an unhealthy or unsafe environment. Maybe the folks at the phone number above can also give you info about programs like that.

JLeslie's avatar

Most likely he does have the right to raise your rent. If you had a lease you would probably have laws that would support you paying less rent until certain things were fixed in the apartment, but since you are there month to month you might have no leg to stand on in that realm. Basically the only power you have to threaten to move out, but you need to be ready to do it. Usually month to month lease require a 15 day notice in writing if you plan to move out or if he is asking you to leave, but it varies by state. But, the threat that you will move out if the rent goes up you can certainly do over the phone.

rojo's avatar

You are on a month to month lease at this point.
All I can tell you is to actually read your lease and see if he can.
If he can, and if you do not like it, you have either 30 or 60 days to give him notice that you intend to leave dependent upon what your lease requires.

seekingwolf's avatar

He can change the rent if he wants because your lease is expired. You don’t have any price Protection in that regard.

Seek's avatar

All I can say is that he’ll have a hard time proving he gave you notice in court if he doesn’t provide the notice in writing. And with any luck, you gave him notice of the disrepair in writing (email counts, so do text messages if you have a log of them), so this will be an easy case for you to win.

That said, I am only familiar with Florida state landlord-tenant law, but here, the guy is not allowed to raise rent because you report disrepair to Code Enforcement, and in fact the court can demand him to lower it if he tries. The most important thing is to keep everything in writing, and use the state and county offices at your disposal. If he’s being an ass, make sure the municipality knows about it before you end up in small claims court.

poisonedantidote's avatar

What phone call? I never got a call. The phone rang the other day, but I did not hear anyone at the other end. If you want to raise my rent you should send a registered letter so you have proof in court you told me so. It should not take too long, I can only probably avoid collecting the letter for a few years.

Response moderated (Spam)
granniebaby2008's avatar

my Landlord is a slum Landlord my lease was up 2 year’s ago but my Landlord still collecting the rent from me and he don’t fix anything around the house now there’s racoon living inside the walls I send him a certified letter to inform him about that; therefore is it possible I withheld some of my rent money until he fix what need to be fix he has my Security Deposit what should I do..

Seek's avatar

You need to check your state Statutes.

In Florida, you can withhold a portion of your rent if there are places in your home that are not safely habitable. For example, my jackass landlord took two months to repair mold damage on the floor of my son’s bedroom. That effectively took my home from a 2-bedroom to a 1-bedroom for two months.

The bastard tried to argue, but when I handed him a prepared printout of my statement, photos of the damage, a note stating that I had video of same, and highlighted exerpts of the state Statutes inform as to the landlord’s responsibilities and the ones that allow me to do exactly what I’m doing, he got right on that floor, and I got to keep an extra $400.

Moral of the story? Do your research, take pictures, and don’t take “no” for an answer.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther