General Question

imgr8's avatar

Minors traveling to Mexico alone?

Asked by imgr8 (429points) September 15th, 2012

I am 18, a friend of mine and I are planning to go to Mexico in a few months and staying at an all inclusive. My friend is only 16. In Canada I know you don’t need parents permission to travel once you’re 16 but what about getting into Mexico? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard something about that.. She can get permission from her parents I’m just having trouble finding out what we need does anyone have any info?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

Nullo's avatar

I wouldn’t advise travel to Mexico right now, period. Especially minors, especially alone.

imgr8's avatar

@Nullo we will be staying at club med so it’ll be pretty safe and I’ve been there countless times so I know exactly how to get there and everything

Coloma's avatar

Not your highest choice and if you do go, do NOT even THINK about doing any drugs, anywhere, at any time! Comprende!!!? ;-)
I’m a 70’s girl and I had a female friend who was incarcerated for almost 2 years for marijuana in a Mexican jail way back when. It cost her family their life savings to get her out of there and it was a horrible ordeal for all involved. Regardless of your prior experience I would still advise extreme caution traveling as very young adults.

JLeslie's avatar

Call the airline and ask them. I would suggest a notarized letter from her parents saying it is ok for her to travel with you. I think Wundayatta recenty had his teenage daughter travel without her parents, he would probably know.

Travelling to club med should be fine.

_Whitetigress's avatar

I live in San Diego. Don’t go there. It’s as bad as Chicago during the bootleg era.

JLeslie's avatar

@_Whitetigress are you taking about Tijuana? She is going to a resort.

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

This from the US Department of State info sheet on minors traveling to and from Mexico. It clearly states that a minor not carrying the document described below may not be allowed back into the US. That could be an extremely scary situation for a 16 year old, and an expensive problem for their parents:

Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or the nearest Mexican consulate for current information.

Here are the latest state-by-state travel advisories for Mexico. Look up not only the states in which you will be staying, but the states you will be traveling through.

The State Department has a great site and is the ultimate authority on US citizens traveling abroad. Know where the nearest consulate is in the area you travel. This is an excellent example of your tax money working for you.

Have a good time, but stay informed.

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

Oooops. Here is the info sheet describing the document required of alien minors traveling to and from Mexico. Scroll about a fifth of the way down the page under the section dealing with HIV/AIDS.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther