General Question

trypaw's avatar

What is this hose in my car called?

Asked by trypaw (332points) September 25th, 2012

Hello, I am in need of a new hose for my car, the one I have is cracked and brittle. I have gone to all the auto parts stores in town and cannot find anything close to it. I believe it goes from my air intake to my valve cover? Can someone please tell me what it is called and maybe where I can buy one? eBay perhaps? Or any online parts store? I am just having difficulty finding the name. Thank you so much for your help!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

13 Answers

trypaw's avatar

I forgot to circle the hose in my pictures.. But its the one my flashlight is directly shining on. I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus.

jerv's avatar

Breather hose, part of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system.

It goes between the air cleaner (or the box that holds it) and the valve cover, and there is usually a PCV valve on the valve cover end.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

Dealer part (most non-radiator formed hoses) are available from dealer.
Ask the parts guy/gal at the local dealership. They have diagrams to look at, so you should not have to remove it, until you buy it.

trypaw's avatar

Thats what it is? Thankyou! :) So I will not be able to buy this anywhere online I’m assuming? I ask because I live far away from the dealership.

woodcutter's avatar

You should be replacing pretty much everything that is rubber or hose like as well as the belt while you are at it. You’re gonna be glad you did.,carcode,1314683,parttype,11784

El_Cadejo's avatar

who the hell prices something at $6.66….they must worship the devil or something :P

trypaw's avatar

@woodcutter I actually found that specific part at an auto part store in town. Its not bent right and the holes aren’t big enough to fit… :(

trypaw's avatar

@woodcutter It almost needs something like this (the top one) but the hose is for a 95 stratus and I’m not sure if it could fit mine. Plus it looks like its made from a harder material.

trypaw's avatar

Could I just maybe go to a hardware store and find some tubing or something and cut to fit it? would that be possible?

Tropical_Willie's avatar

@trypaw The part is specific to automobiles. The temperature and oil vapors will eat most hoses.

In my state anything to do with emissions ( it is an emissions hose ) must be maintained with original quality equipment.

tedd's avatar

Most auto stores should be able to find this if you tell them the part, and the car/year you have. They keep the stuff in the back shelves.

Assuming you can’t find it at one though (and they can’t order it), it should be readily available online.

Skaggfacemutt's avatar

It’s called the hose that goes from your air intake valve to your valve cover. Anyway, that is what my auto parts store calls it.

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther