Social Question

ETpro's avatar

How can I replace the Comcast rental cable TV box with a DVDR that includes the secret Comcast decoder ring?

Asked by ETpro (34425points) December 31st, 2012

I don’t want to pay for that box every month, year after year. In a few years, that scruffy little box will cost me more than a state-of-the-art entertainment center, and I’ll keep right on paying for it year after year as long as I live on a Comcast feed. I want to break free of that curse. But how? What do I need to buy to receive all the standard, premium and on demand channels without paying Comcast for a box to decode the signals?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

Any legal replacement boxes still need a “cable card” from Comcast, there is a two-way connection from the box to Comcast and back. If they don’t “hand shake” no cable to your TV. Check with Comcast the card may cost $2.50 per month. Replacement box may cost about $140.00 like this ONE.

ETpro's avatar

Thanks, Tropical Willie. Just the info I needed.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

You’re welcome. I’ve been thinking about this set-up myself.

ETpro's avatar

Reviewing my bill online, I am not sure Comcast will give me any break even if I use my equipment instead of theirs. I tried to work thought it in an online chat with customer service, but the agent ducked responsibility, and said I should call their 800 number after the holiday.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther