General Question

Jonathan_hodgkins's avatar

How do I find the specs for transistors in order to replace them?

Asked by Jonathan_hodgkins (678points) January 3rd, 2013

I have removed four transistors from a fried power board that I would like to replace, but I’m having a difficult time figuring out how to get an equivalent transistor. Any suggestions on what my steps should be or how to read the markings on a transistor?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

Find the Transisitor’s P/N and go to a list like THIS

Tropical_Willie's avatar

The markings maybe laser marked or found on the circuit board.

Response moderated (Spam)
dabbler's avatar

@Tropical_Willie is right the part numbers are often laser-etched – and that’s a low contrast marking unfortunately.

If the parts are so fried you can’t find any mark you might be able to determine what would be appropriate by analysing the rest of the circuit. In a power supply board a relatively wide range of part might work. You’ll have to figure out polarities to get the right kind of part, and figure out the maximum voltage that the part might experience. Get replacements that are rated for at least twice that voltage.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther