General Question

St.George's avatar

Does the Irish Football team have a name other than "Ireland?"?

Asked by St.George (5865points) March 17th, 2013

I’m wondering when the Irish team plays another team, how is it called during the match? “The____________ scored.” Or “There’s another goal for the ___________.” Or do they just say, “Ireland scores,” and leave it at that?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

ucme's avatar

They’re the Republic of Ireland & are usually known as the Republic or shortened further to ROI.

Response moderated (Flame-Bait)
hartest's avatar

Also known as “The Boys in Green” , but when it does rarely happen that Ireland score it’s usually Ireland scores, unless they are playing Northern Ireland then I would presume they say the Republic of Ireland score, but I could be wrong

downtide's avatar

I think commentators tend to just say “Ireland scored” or “The Irish scored”.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther