General Question

poofandmook's avatar

With the Affordable Healthcare Act, what happens if there is a gap in my coverage?

Asked by poofandmook (17272points) December 20th, 2013

My husband’s benefits are better than mine. So we planned on me going onto his insurance in 2014.

Except when we just moved this month, we misplaced the forms. His company is moving house right now, so we may not be able to get the forms and fill them out until after Christmas. That leaves approximately NO time for me to be officially enrolled or covered or whathaveyou before January 1st.

Well, my insurance runs out in 2014. What happens if I have a gap? Do I get fined or penalized or anything?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

hearkat's avatar

Can you (or his HR people) contact the Insurance Agent for his company to get a copy of the forms? Or can they send them to you in PDF format?

Your situation is not likely to be covered in any FAQs for the ACA, but Consumer Reports has a site to help with some of the questions:

Jaxk's avatar

As I understand it, as long as you have coverage by March, you won’t get fined. Of course you still have the coverage gap so don’t get sick.

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther