Social Question

AshLeigh's avatar

What is the entryway called in your state?

Asked by AshLeigh (15889points) January 30th, 2014 from iPhone

Apparently a closed off entry way is called a different thing in different states.
In Alaska we call it the Arctic Entrance. My sisters told me that when they lived in Arizona it was called the Arizona Room.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

42 Answers

LuckyGuy's avatar

Do you mean on the inside of the house? We call it a “foyer”. (Western NY). Some houses have “mud rooms”. The foyer would be attached to the front door. The mudroom would be attached to the garage or back door.

AshLeigh's avatar

@LuckyGuy, the arctic entrance is just a room attached to the front door. Kind of like this

Dutchess_III's avatar

I don’t know but I like that @AshLeigh. I think we would proably simply call that an ‘entryway.’ Most houses that I’ve seen that have something similar actually have screened in porches rather than a little room.

cookieman's avatar

“Entryway”, “front hall”, or “foyer” if it’s the front door.

“Mud Rooms” are usually a back entrance and, as the name implies, is a small room more than a hallway.

And I’m in Massachusetts

Cruiser's avatar

@AshLeigh Even you link calls it a foyer which is what we call our front entryway in Illinois. We also have a mudroom off the garage which a Godsend especially with teen boys romping in and out.

AshLeigh's avatar

That’s so weird. I’ve never heard of it being called a foyer before.

janbb's avatar

If I had one, I would call it a foyer. My front door goes right into my living room.

AshLeigh's avatar

I don’t have one anymore either. The front door goes to a hallway on the right, and a staircase on the left.

Dutchess_III's avatar

It’s actually pronounced “Fo-yay,” cuz it’s French. But we hicks say it like it is, “Foy YER.”

Judi's avatar

Foryer, unless you’re talking about a freeway then I’d say on ramp. (That’s what I first thought your question was about.)

Strauss's avatar

It’s known as a “Florida room” in Florida, and a “lenai room” in Florida.

cookieman's avatar

@janbb: Same with me. I don’t like it.

Dutchess_III's avatar

My dad and his wife have a lanai in their Florida house. My dad was raised in Texas. He said, “Yep, we have a lanai. Where I grew up we just called it a screened-in porch.”

@Judi that’s what I thought her question was about too.

zenvelo's avatar

It depends on the location relative to the actual front door, the door you lock, and also the flooring.

A foyer is a separate room one moves through to get to a hallway. If it is an extension of a hallway to move through a house, then it’s a front hall. A mud room is only big enough for changing shoes and hanging coats, and might even be enclosed but outside the house.

A lanai is a covered outside partially enclosed porch, and maybe on any side of the house.

johnpowell's avatar

Oregon.. Foyer.

My mom from Pennsylvania calls it a Mud-Room.

Dutchess_III's avatar

To me, a foyer is a formal entry way. A mud room is just that, where you go tromping in to the house all muddy and dirty and wet and strip off all your clothes there. Can’t do that in a foyer. Well, you can but Mom will kill you!

KNOWITALL's avatar

Missouri. Foyer.

Mudrooms for us are usually off the back door or garage.

ragingloli's avatar

And because the shoes are stored there, some people also call it the “Gaskammer”.

Dutchess_III's avatar

That would be ‘Gas Can’ in Kansas @ragingloli.

dxs's avatar

I always imagined a foyer as being bigger than that. A foyer is more grandiose, like with a vaulted ceiling or something. I don’t know what I’d call that smaller room.
I’m from New England and I have never seen one like that. “Mud room” came to mind, but that’s more of a place to put shoes and coats and what not. It’s not a place to sit down or place decorative tables and pillows. The closes thing I have seen to that where I’m from is a sun room-like thing at the front of the house.

Dutchess_III's avatar

I really like it though.

KNOWITALL's avatar

@elbanditoroso That’s what we call it at church.

ibstubro's avatar

Mo-Il: fo-Yay. FOR-yer or entryway fir what’s pictured.
Is the picture actually representative of what you’re talking about, @AshLeigh. I would think that an “Artic Entrance” would make more sense if had an entry door and a door into the house. If that was the case, I’d call it a ‘mud room’ regardless of the location.

Dutchess_III's avatar

A lobby is in a business or a hotel or something.

AshLeigh's avatar

@ibstubro, an arctic entrance is the room we put shoes, and hang jackets. There is usually a door from outside into the arctic entrance and then another door into the house. That was just the closest picture I could find.

I have never heard of a mud room. We rarely have a room leading into the back yard. Usually just a back porch.

ibstubro's avatar

Exactly what I thought, @AshLeigh. A place that mitigates the worst of the bad weather.

In Missouri I call that a mud room because we have more mud than arctic. A place to remove your muddy shoes and wet gear without muddying the house proper and dripping all over the floor. It would also be our ‘arctic entrance’ during the winter. Mud rooms are traditional in rural areas, seldom seen in cities. Ours are usually in the back of the house, but then become the primary entrance. Mud rooms often double as laundry rooms.

hey_now's avatar

@AshLeigh An arctic entrance sounds like another name for a mudroom. Most mudrooms, at least in older homes and farmhouses, are located near the front of the house and are used as the main entrance.

Dutchess_III's avatar

“We have more mud than arctic.” That made me LOL!

janbb's avatar

i tend to think of mud rooms as bein a back entrance but my friend on a arm had one as a front entrance.

ibstubro's avatar

Typically in the Midwest we have a formal entrance and a family entrance. The family entrance is usually on the side or rear entrance and also serves as a mud room. On older homes (especially farm houses) it’s often an enclosed porch and it’s my experience that the deep freezer and/or washer and dryer also live there.

Foyer or entryway is usually the formal presentation to the house at the front door.

Our entrances tend to be as my great grandmother always told her girls about handkerchiefs, “Make sure you always have two: one for show and one for blow.”

janbb's avatar

Edit: “farm”

Dutchess_III's avatar

When we build our house we WILL have an arctic room! And a lanai. Maybe a foyer and an Arizona room too.

DominicX's avatar

Real estate brochures around here tend to call it a “foyer”, although “entryway” as a general term is sometimes used.

Seek's avatar

Here in Florida it’s usually a “Florida Room” or a “Lanai”, but this implies it’s more like a closed in front porch. Screened windows or glass panes instead of walls, big enough for a couch and a coffee table.

The little room between the main house and the backyard is, indeed, a mudroom. It’s where you drop your towels and bathing suits when you come in from the pool.

ibstubro's avatar

I think, @Seek_Kolinahr, given the use, Florida, Mud and Arctic rooms are basically the same, given the climate.

rojo's avatar

I think that entry hall is the norm here although personally I use foyer. Probably my upbringing.

ibstubro's avatar

You think on that, @rojo

rojo's avatar

I dun thunk it out. Yup.

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther