Send to a Friend

canidmajor's avatar

Does anyone know the clinical word or term for this?

Asked by canidmajor (11286points) May 5th, 2014

What is it officially called when someone is as crippled by grief by circumstances that happen to strangers far away as they are by things close to home where they perhaps know people involved? For example, to be as upset by the reports of children starving in Africa as by the news that the child of a friend was stabbed to death in the hall of a local high school.

I’m not talking about understandable concern and compassion and the desire (even passionate) to help and alleviate suffering, but the internalization of the grief akin to the loss of a loved one.

Using Fluther


Using Email

Separate multiple emails with commas.
We’ll only use these emails for this message.