Social Question

Aster's avatar

Have you heard someone say, "a chester drawers?"?

Asked by Aster (18187points) July 1st, 2014

I was browsing Craigslist and someone was selling a “chester drawers.” I know what they meant. Have you heard this before?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

17 Answers

ragingloli's avatar

No. What does it mean?

Aster's avatar

A chest of drawers.

picante's avatar

My family (roots in the rural South) used the term. We also called a “wash rag” a “warsh rag.”

I left as soon as I could ;-)

livelaughlove21's avatar

My mother-in-law sounds like she’s saying that when she says “chest of drawers,” though I’m not sure which she’s actually saying. I’ve found that my husband was saying certain things incorrectly just because that’s how they sound to him and no one ever corrected it. I just above busted a gut when he called a potluck a “pop lock.” Ha! Silly little Southern boy.

@picante My grandma says “warsh” – but I don’t think anyone would actually spell it that way. It’s different than what @Aster is talking about. This person actually typed out “chester drawers.” There’s pronouncing something in a different way because of an accent and then there’s saying a totally different thing than what you mean.

Jonesn4burgers's avatar

My SO of a few years back used to mispronounce certain terms and cliches. It turned out he had a mild hearing impairment, and that’s what he believed people were sayng

ucme's avatar

Chester Drawers, that’s my butlers name, jolly fine worker that chap.

Pachy's avatar

LOL! That’s what I thought they were called when I was a kid (both my folks were fast talkers, especially my dad). Later, I started calling them dressers.

filmfann's avatar

Only when refering to Chester’s underwear.

which I never do

JLeslie's avatar

I have never heard someone say Chester drawers, but I assume like you they meant chest of drawers. They might want to switch to saying and writing dresser. I also didn’t hear anyone say jute box until I lived in MI. Then again, a jelly corrected me when I used jive instead of jibe.

kritiper's avatar

I have heard it said like that but I think it was meant as “a chest of drawers.” I’m-a thinkin’ some ol’ western cowpoke type took a liken’ to sayin’ it real fast like sos it came out as “chester drors.”

ibstubro's avatar

Okay, here’s my story:

I started collecting antiques at the age of 13. A sweet by rather simple girl named Glenda in my high school class knew this. One day, she came up to me and this was the conversation.

G: I have the neatest chest a drawers I’ve ever seen, and I’ve never seen another like it. My grandmother gave it to me.
IBS: Really? What’s it look like?
G: Well, it has drawers down below and 2 doors at the top.
IBS: Well, that does sound neat.
G: Yeah! And the best part? You open the doors and there are all the little chesters!

YES, I kept a straight face and closed mouth. Not so much as a rolled eye.

I bet I’ve told that true story 100+ times.

ibstubro's avatar

Oh, and she couldn’t say spaghetti. “Spa-sa-getti.”

Water? “Werter.”

Lawnmower? “Lawndermower.”

As you can tell, she left quite an impression on me.

Adagio's avatar

I love it!

Earthbound_Misfit's avatar

They obviously mean a chest OF drawers but have got the name wrong.

DominicX's avatar

I used to think that’s what it was called when I was a little kid…but if an adult thought that, that’s embarrassing :P

Skaggfacemutt's avatar

It’s kind of like duck tape. Some people actually think that it really is called duck tape (not duct tape). Misunderstandings come from people who hear the word or phrase but haven’t seen it written down. The person who wrote the add probably really thinks they are called chester drawers.

ragingloli's avatar

duck tape is actually a valid alternate spelling of duck tape. In fact, duck tape preceded duct tape

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther