• This question has been deleted.

General Question

pleiades's avatar

What is this phenomena called?

Asked by pleiades (6566points) August 1st, 2014

Ok, so I sort of get irked when this happens.

Here is the example…

1. Upper middle class young adults who have had zero experience with being or having friends from the lower class yet they use the phrases, “We ovah here” or any witty phrase that basically comes from the hood.

Typically these young adults are forced into college and they are great observers and sure they may be cultured and go to artsy events and what have you.

For them, it’s all a sort of entertainment (to act hood, again let me reiterate, they’re not hood at all). I have no idea why this irks me.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

zenvelo's avatar

To me, it’s a variant on slumming, where people with privilege, but nothing they can take real pride in for having accomplished, can feel better about themselves by being “better” than that.

It’s appropriation of the culture so they can laugh about it. It’s classist/racist.

CWOTUS's avatar

It ain’ no thang. It’s a phenomenon, by the way. If you were asking about two or more things, then the question would be “what are these phenomena called”.

canidmajor's avatar

I’m sorry that I don’t know what it’s called, but it’s almost a universal behavior, especially among young men. It’s a type of social posturing designed to present oneself as tougher and cooler. It’s less about “slumming” and more about trying to appear “street smart” and savvy.

janbb's avatar

Ive heard it called being a “wigger” in the past. It’s an attempt to be cool.

This discussion is closed.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther