General Question

M1952's avatar

Can a lawyer send a letter to someone threatening legal action If they don't help their ex wife?

Asked by M1952 (301points) August 29th, 2014 from iPhone

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m just curious because my husband left me for another women and has filed divorce, I am 5 months pregnant and he will not help pay rent or anything ! Can a lawyer send a threat of legal action if he does not comply or something like that? Thank you!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

15 Answers

janbb's avatar

A lawyer can certainly help you. You must talk to one. Try Legal Aid if you do not have financial resources. Good luck!

jca's avatar

When the baby is born you can get child support with a DNA test. You don’t need to hire your own lawyer.

M1952's avatar

but nothing can be done now? We are still married ..

Dutchess_III's avatar

If you have the money to hire a lawyer, do so.

(Isn’t this suspiciously like a question asked about a week ago?)

M1952's avatar

It’s similar sorry lol ): not exactly the same, I’m asking about a letter of threat right now .. Last week I asked if he was legally obligated to help me

M1952's avatar

plus it was deleted because of spelling errors or something like that

jca's avatar

Fluther likes proper spelling, grammar, punctuation. You are missing some caps and stuff like that. They may delete this one if you don’t fix it.

janbb's avatar

What is stopping you from talking to a lawyer?

jca's avatar

If you are married, still, then it’s not an “ex-wife.”

M1952's avatar

That is true sorry, I wrote this not thinking properly but yes we are still married

M1952's avatar

Though he has filed divorce and we have a court date

janbb's avatar

You should be able to get a temporary support agreement prior to the court date. In addition to a lawyer, it might be helpful for you to look for a women’s divorce support group in your town.

lillycoyote's avatar

I don’t think your lawyer needs to threaten legal action; he or she should just take legal action. Consult with your attorney, not with us. Your lawyer should be able to tell you what needs to be done now. That’s what lawyers are for.

Seaofclouds's avatar

What you are entitled to really depends on your state and how long you’ve been married. You may or may not be entitled to alimony. In regards to making him pay the bills that are in both of your names, I doubt there is anything that can be done right now. It will most likely have to be part of the divorce agreement.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther