General Question

xgunther's avatar

Are the oils in a mango's skin toxic?

Asked by xgunther (446points) July 15th, 2007 from iPhone

I've heard that oils in some mango's skin are related to poison ivy. And can cause allergic reactions. Weird that this is the worlds number 1 consumed food

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

kneck's avatar

You can be allergic to mango skins. But that doesn't mean they're toxins, except for the person who is allergic to them. So I guess "toxin" is a relative term.

sferik's avatar

Mangoes are indeed related to poison ivy, as well as sumac. They are all members of the Anacardiaceae family.

susanc's avatar

Mangoes are the world's #1 consumed food?
How bout rice? corn?
Bizarre.

occ's avatar

I once lived on a mango farm, and they told us that it was the sap that could cause allergic reactions, not the skin of the mango. So wash your mango carefully to remove the sap and then you can handle it without worries...

xgunther's avatar

Yes, the sap that contains it resides mainly in the skin. In Hawaii, when I was about 13, our local family friends told us to wash the skin around our mouths after eating one. Especially if you eat it like a pig, which I did, scrapping all the meat off the skin with my mouth. Naturally, as a teen rebel, I deliberatly didn't wash my face and developed a huge hideous rash around my mouth which looked and felt like a huuuuuge cold cold sore. It itched, bled, and oozed for weeks. Horrible experience. Learned my lesson haha

pearlyC's avatar

I think it is not the oil, maybe you are referring to sap. In some cases it caused rash to some kids.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther