General Question

syz's avatar

Art print preservation?

Asked by syz (35649points) July 21st, 2008

I have several signed and personlized limited edition prints that are nicely framed with materials that are supposedly acid free. They’re large and (at least for me) expensive pieces that are important to me. I have two or three pieces that have a light brownish marring (mildew?) under the glass. These haven’t been stored in an attic or garage – they’ve been hanging on my walls. Is there anything I can do to repair the damage (or at least stop it)?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

arnbev959's avatar

I have some prints with yellow-brown stuff under the glass as well. Great question.

gailcalled's avatar

Do you live near a museum, gallery or University with a decent studio art department? A curator, art dealer, framer, professor might be able to help.

eambos's avatar

PupnTaco might be able to help. He makes art prints. Send him a pm and he should be able to provide you with a little advice.

susanc's avatar

While waiting for Pup, it sounds like you have FOXING, which is little pale-tan
spots. Is this it?
This is not good. You have to take the prints to a frameshop, preferably the
one that did the original framing. Foxing IS mildew, and it’s hard to fix it without injuring the paper itself.
Now let’s see what Pup says.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther