General Question

winblowzxp's avatar

What is the term for conjoined twin separation?

Asked by winblowzxp (498points) September 28th, 2015

There seems to be a term for every surgical operation performed, but I can’t find one for separating conjoined twins. Is it because there isn’t a name for it?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

Pied_Pfeffer's avatar

I couldn’t locate a name either, other than “separation surgery”.

ZEPHYRA's avatar

Dissection surgery?

winblowzxp's avatar

Not dissection, that’s the term for a procedure similar to an autopsy, only on another species.

Since you brought up dissection, perhaps bisection may be more fitting?

dabbler's avatar

Presidential candidate Ben Carson is famous for being the first to separate occipital craniopagus twins. I haven’t seen a term for that whole procedure, though, besides ‘separation’. It was complicated

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther