Social Question

YakovJacobson's avatar

The glass used in museum displays?

Asked by YakovJacobson (8points) November 10th, 2015

Is there anyone who knows about the display glasses used in museum displays. Do they have any specialities??

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

elbanditoroso's avatar

I don’t know brand names or specifics, but I know that several museums have hardened (double baked) glass. Some others have small metallic wire – very narrow – for strength.

ibstubro's avatar

Tru-vue is a popular brand.

The obvious answer is that it depends on the endowment of the museum and the value of what’s displayed. A small museum may continue to use plain glass displays (which can be bought very cheaply at times – under $20) while the Mona Lisa might survive a light nuclear attack.

Kardamom's avatar

Most museums don’t use glass at all, at least not any more. They use a plastic material called plexiglass. It can be thin or thick, depending upon the type of enclosure that is being used, the value of the item, and the budget of the institution purchasing the material.

I went to an exhibit of the Faberge eggs many years ago that used bullet proof plexi glass. I have no idea if it was a specific brand. The reason why they use the plastic material, as opposed to actual glass, is because if it breaks, it doesn’t shatter, which could potentially damage the items inside the enclosure.

One of the other reasons, is because glass is highly reflective. No one wants to see their own face when they’re looking at a portrait in a museum. They make non-reflective plastics just for that purpose.

ibstubro's avatar

Tru-vue carries those acrylics, @Kardamom, as well as laminated glass, which I’m going to guess is along the lines of auto-glass.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther