General Question

MooCows's avatar

Would the dentist go for this?

Asked by MooCows (3195points) February 13th, 2016

I have a space between my two front teeth and
a new dentist bonded them for now because I
decided to get veneers put on them. I have an
appointment Feb 24 to start the procedure and pay
the $1047.00. Right now the bonding he did doesn’t
look too bad and I would like to put this procedure
off until this bonding breaks..then I would get the
veneers. I just don’t want to shell out $1000.00 right
now when I am happy with what he did. Also wondering
if I wait can I still get the cost he quoted me while I was
there. What would you do or say to the dentist?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

12 Answers

stanleybmanly's avatar

I would live with the gap

MooCows's avatar

I can’t. I am way too self conscious of my looks even at 58.
Its a full time job for me!

stanleybmanly's avatar

I admire you for your frankness!

ibstubro's avatar

You should probably shell out the $1,000 and have the procedure finished, if you’re certain you’re going to have it done eventually.

Alternately, ask your dentist about delaying.
Tell him you have some bills coming up (it’s true – don’t we all?!) and ask if it would be okay to let it slide for a while. When he says ‘yes’, say ‘Thanks!’. Then, as if as an afterthought, verify that they price quoted is firm, at least through the rest of the year.

imrainmaker's avatar

I agree with @ibstubro…u can give him some reason for delay..not necessarily financial reasons but can be anything else related to family / personal emergency due to which you need to delay..complete honesty may not be advisable here..)) check for the price also if you have to delay..

Love_my_doggie's avatar

I would follow-through, pay the $1K+, and finish the procedure. The bonding material is meant to be a foundation for the additional work, not to stand on its own.

imrainmaker's avatar

Yeah I guess what @love_my_doggie is saying is correct. It is just a supporting material which might look ok for now but won’t last long. So it would be better to complete the procedure itself.

JLeslie's avatar

My original bond held up for 25 years! Why screw with it if you’re happy with how it looks now?

elbanditoroso's avatar

Two points.

Yes, you can wait – there is no particular hurry to get the second part done TODAY. You can wait until it breaks. However, that could be tomorrow or it could be 5 months. No way to guess.

I would also feel comfortable asking the doc if you can split the payments over 2–3 months. Easier on the budget. I know that MY dentist would be OK with it, but I have been seieng him for 9 years. If you’re a new patient for this dentist, he might say no.

Doctors and dentist are human. They understand about people with lump sum payment issues.

Earthbound_Misfit's avatar

Some dentists offer interest-free payment plans. Ask your dentist if he offers something like that. That way you can get the work done, without having to shell out $1000 straight away and as long as there is no interest, it can work well for you. Just check into any fees, how long you can take to pay and any additional costs if you take longer. Sometimes such things can have high fees and they charge high interest if you take longer to pay. So make sure you understand the terms.

MooCows's avatar

I think I will just suck it up and go ahead and get it done.
Like Love My Doggie said eventually it will break again
and I will have wished I had done it. I know it is a good
price because when I checked out the nurse gave me the
appt card with $800 a tooth and I told her no the dentist
said $500.00 a tooth. She went and verified it and wrote
down on the card. That is why I don’t want to loose this price.
This is a new dentist for me as not every dentist does porcelain
veneers. He fixed my broken bonding for now so it wouldn’t
look so bad and charged me 135$ but said he would take that
off the original price. Another dentist price was $950 a tooth!

ibstubro's avatar

I think you need to suck it up and go ahead and get it done, @MooCows.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther