General Question

ooogleemooglee's avatar

What is the difference between M.S.Ed. and M.T.?

Asked by ooogleemooglee (6points) July 25th, 2008

Depending on the university, some offer graduate programs in elementary education that offer a degree in “Master of Science in Education or M.S.Ed.” while others offer a degree in “Teaching, Master of (M.T.)”.

What is the difference if any? And how would choosing one degree over the other affect on professionally?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

1 Answer

marinelife's avatar

From Belhaven College:

“The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) is designed for students who have a non-education undergraduate degree. The Master of Education (MED) is designed for students who have an education undergraduate degree and completed a teacher preparation program (student-teaching).”

There seems to be some differences depending on the school. From USC:

“The MT and MAT degrees are designed to allow degree candidates to earn an initial teaching certificate. The MEd is designed for certified teachers to pursue graduate studies and earn a master’s degree (you can not be admitted to the MEd without a teaching certificate or it’s equivalent including teaching experience). The MT is designed for students who complete an undergraduate degree at USC including undergraduate core education course requirements.”

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther