General Question

pixiequeen12's avatar

I'm getting married in a few months. Does anyone have a list of all the documents i would need to change over to my married name just so i'm not missing anything important?

Asked by pixiequeen12 (137points) July 28th, 2008

How do i even go about changing my name officially?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

13 Answers

marinelife's avatar

What state are you living in now, pixiequeen12? The laws vary.

marinelife's avatar

Here is the information from the state for almost any question regarding marriage you could think of:

” Surname Options: Every person has the right to adopt any name by which he or she wishes to be known simply by using that name consistently and without intent to defraud. A person’s last name (surname) does not automatically change upon marriage, and neither party to the marriage is required to change his or her last name. The bride and groom need not take the same last name.

One or both parties to a marriage may elect to change the surname by which he or she wishes to be known after the marriage by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license. The new name must consist of one of the following options: the surname of the other spouse; any former surname of either spouse; a name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the premarriage surname or any former surname of each spouse; a combination name separated by a hyphen, provided that each part of such combination surname is the premarriage surname, or any former surname, of each of the spouses.

The use of this option will provide a record of your change of name. The marriage certificate, containing the new name, if any, is proof that the use of the new name, or the retention of the former name, is lawful. The local Social Security Administration office should be contacted so that its records and your social security identification card reflect the name change. This way, you will get credit for all your earnings. There is no charge for this service.

Whether you decide to use or not use this option at the time of your marriage license application, you still have the right to adopt a different name through usage at some future date. However, your marriage license cannot be changed to record a surname you decide to use after your marriage.”

pixiequeen12's avatar

So what you’re saying is that just by signing the marriage certificate with the new name, that will serve as a legitimate method of name-changing as well as legal proof of what my new name is for the other documents. Correct?

crunchaweezy's avatar

Men have it made.. lol

marinelife's avatar

@pixiequeen12 That is what it says. Then you have to change your social security card, driver’s license, etc., using copies of your marriage license.

poofandmook's avatar

@pixiequeen: I don’t know how the DMV laws are in New York, but I know here in New Jersey, they’re insane with last name changes. So make sure you save every single scrap of paper during the name change on every document in a folder or envelope somewhere safe. You may need them for any DMV visit to prove your name is legally changed.

scamp's avatar

I don’t have anything to add here, except congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

jlm11f's avatar

I would like to give my Congratulations too to pixiequeen :)

baseballnut's avatar

I’m in HR and here are some of the things that we suggest employees think about when they get married:

Changing tax status

Name on social security records, which can then be changed with your employer (don’t change your name with your employer before your change the SS records – it screws up your company’s automatic tax filings and may cause you issues)

Marriage triggers a change in family status and may entitle you to make midyear benefits changes in group medical/dental coverage, flexible spending accounts or HSA/HRA accounts

Don’t forget beneficiary changes for life insurance and 401k if you participate

This is probably too “old school” to even mention but hopefully you’ve attained credit in your own name – keep it! Check periodically to make sure that any joint credit is reported on files for both you and your new husband.

Best of luck to you!

gooch's avatar

Your maiden name is always legal.

TheGreenBrideGuide's avatar

You can get a personalized name change kit – based on your state – that you can download form the web by clicking the link above. It takes a while to jump through all the hoops so you should start ASAP.


goldmine178's avatar

just go to your local county auditors office or web site they will have everything you need

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther