General Question

Ltryptophan's avatar

What do you call it when a picture of text is illegible in a picture if you zoom in, but more legible without the zoom?

Asked by Ltryptophan (10724points) November 27th, 2016 from iPhone

Sometimes with pictures zooming in washes out a word you are trying to read. The same word is clearer when the pic is not zoomed in. What’s happening there, mega pixel quality?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

Call_Me_Jay's avatar

Can’t see the forest for the trees. We read whole words, not letter by letter. Maybe the shape of the word is easier to see with a little distance.

Unofficial_Member's avatar

I believe that is the result of trying to zoom/enlarge a low resolution picture. The words are part of the picture thus a blur pic will automatically result in blur words. I don’t think they have a naming for this but I call it “anti-myopiac words/pics” lol.

LuckyGuy's avatar

it is a bit like an impressionism painting by Monet. Up close you get nothing. Stand back and you see the image.

zenvelo's avatar

The term for this is pixelization:. The result of enlarging a digital image further than the resolution of the monitor device, usually 72 dpi (dots per inch), causing the individual pixels making up the image to become more prominent, thus causing a grainy appearance in the image.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther