General Question

Jeruba's avatar

How do I find a lawyer who can write a "cease and desist" letter for me?

Asked by Jeruba (47990points) July 14th, 2017

And about how much should this cost me? I’m in Northern California.

Tags as I wrote them: lawyers, attorneys, legal fees, cease and desist.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

I found this site. It might be a good place to start.

I’m sorry, but I do not know the rates lawyer’s charge these days.

LuckyGuy's avatar

Is this list of cease and desist templates at all useful? If nothing else they might give you an idea of what the letter should include.

zenvelo's avatar

It would take about an hour, maybe two hours altogether including talking to you. Most average lawyers in Northern California in a small shop run about $300 to $350 per hour.

snowberry's avatar

Don’t bother using or or outfits like that. They’re in it to make money, not to help you find a good attorney.

When I was looking for an attorney I used legalmatch. It turned out the attorney I picked lied to me the first phone conversation I had with him. Of course I didn’t know it was a lie until I had worked with him for three weeks, but by that time I was already financially tied to working with him and I had to continue or start over with someone else with a brand-new retainer and be greatly delayed in what I was trying to do. Further delay would have put us in a tremendous financial bind. The result was I found myself questioning everything he did. Was he telling the truth this time or was he pulling another fast one?

When I complained to legal match they sided with my irreresponsible attorney. Now that I think about it I guess I need to go to the state bar and let them know what kind of jerk he was.

AshlynM's avatar

My course of action would be to just start calling up different lawyers and explain what I needed. Eventually one of them would surely help you.

Is the cease and desist civil or criminal? You’d need a lawyer with specific knowledge in that area.

I’m sure you could expect to spend at least a couple hundred bucks for this. You don’t need a lawyer to write up legal documents, but they’d have more of a serious impact if it were written by one.

MollyMcGuire's avatar

Any plaintiff guy can do this and it will cost you around $125 probably. Just find someone who does civil law or in other words, one who sues people for a living unless this has to do with real property. In that case get a property lawyer.

Response moderated (Spam)
Response moderated (Spam)
Response moderated

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther