Social Question

Dutchess_III's avatar

When you're 65 can you receive social security and continue to work full time?

Asked by Dutchess_III (38013points) October 11th, 2017


Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

johnpowell's avatar

You are allowed to work but you can only make a certain amount. You could probably do full time at McDonalds. I think it is around 1300 a month you can earn and you can go over that. But for every two dollars over that you go they subtract one dollar from your social security payment.

Which seems fair to me.

Dutchess_III's avatar

Sounds like disability or unemployment.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

Check with the SSA ofice or on-line. That is the official source for SS info.

I think @johnpowell is on the right track of monthly maximum.

Love_my_doggie's avatar

Here’s a good explanation from the SSA website:

Full retirement age varies, depending on the year of one’s birth. For anyone born after 1959, it’s age 67.

NomoreY_A's avatar

No, you have to be 66. You can still work and draw SS benefits, but there is a limit to how much you can make, under 66. You’d have to check into it, I think there are different factors that figure into it.

Dutchess_III's avatar

Thanks guys. We have yet to figure out how old he is!

kritiper's avatar

Of course, it depends on what your normal retirement age* is. Mine is 66.
From what I understand, you get full SS after that age*, and you can work full time. From 62 to that age* the amount you get is pro-rated.
But I’d call to be absolutely certain.

NomoreY_A's avatar

@kitiper that was my understanding as well.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther