stanleybmanly's avatar

Does anyone believe there’s a chance in hell that Roy Moore is being falsely accused?

Asked by stanleybmanly (16129points) 4 days ago from iPhone

if so why?

Nope, not after the news came out that he had been banned from a mall in the 1970s for hitting on teenage girls.

And not after the public accusation by a fifth woman yesterday.

LostInParadise's avatar

It is common knowledge that Moore dated teenagers when he was in his 30’s.

Those senators that you see smiling ear to ear are all Democrats. The best thing for them to do in the case of Moore is absolutely nothing. Let the Republicans screw themselves. The GOP is talking about running a write-in candidate for Alabama senator. That would give the Democrats a fighting chance to pick up a Senate seat. Who would have thought? And it makes a difference, because the election is next month. Assuming that the Republicans can’t get a tax bill vote before then, all the Democrats would need to defeat it would be two Republican votes.

No, not a chance. Too much smoke to say that there was no fire.

But here we are in the Trump alternate reality world, where the Bible Belt offers up the nastiest perverts, and no one in leadership cares.

Nope, I don’t think so. But do I think there’s a chance he’ll win the election? Yup.

^^^^ I’m with her.

No. Multiple women do not make stuff about sexual assault up. The last woman to come forward had his every word and action imprinted on her mind for decades. She was very detailed.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

“Does anyone…” Yes, many right wing voters in Alabama believe so according to the polls.

Do I? No.

Aethelwine's avatar

Sure, and I have some ocean front property in Idaho to show ya.

Kardamom's avatar

But the multitudes of women who came forth with allegations against Trump are all liars. Why aren’t those women believed?

It just seems weird that the majority of people, both Republicans and Democrats, believe the women in Moore’s case, but most Republicans still do not believe the women in Trump’s case, even though he said on National TV that he comitted sexual assault.

Where is the disconnect?

Jeruba's avatar

Maybe the president will look into his eyes and just know his denial is sincere.

They say it takes one to know one. But my friend the professional magic performer (and fraud exposer) says the easiest person to fool is a con man. Because he doesn’t think he can be fooled.

Love_my_doggie's avatar

Nope, especially after yesterday’s revelations. The most recent woman claims that he frequented the restaurant where she was working and was very friendly and flirtatious. She has her high school yearbook, signed by him as ”...Love, Roy Moore D.A.” He’s trying to deny any knowledge of either the restaurant or his accuser. Yet, she has physical proof that he was a regular customer and knew her. Who’s the liar, and who’s consistent and credible?

MrGrimm888's avatar

Yes. There’s a chance.

Why?

When politics are involved, nothing is out of bounds…

If you want to know if I think he did it, absolutely. But I’m really basing that on a handful of information. Most of my belief comes from my gut. I’d hate to be ruined over people’s opinions. But my gut says, “he did it, he isn’t the least bit sorry, and he’ll do it again if he can.”

What clinched it for me was the signing of the teenagers yearbook. He said he didn’t know her, never heard of the restaurant. But she has his signature.

Yellowdog's avatar

I think the sexual assault may be exaggerated—but there is no doubt that he dated girls in their mid and late teens when he was in his mid and early 30s and touched them inappropriate ways. I like the values and beliefs he espouses but he has forfeited his right to serve in a political, teaching, or church position.

stanleybmanly's avatar

I wonder if the girls involved think back on it as “dating”.

Yellowdog's avatar

A lot of us put up with a lot when we were teenagers. Some of us were violently assaulted, or pressured into sex, by our peers. Chances are, girls didn’t think that pressure from an older man was any different. But it was. Especially an authority figure—should have been above reproach, but used his position to his advantage. It took 30 years but he did get his “someday” we all tell ourselves will eventually fall

seawulf575's avatar

Not entirely sure. I will say the hype over some of these “accusations” is ridiculous. Example: One of his accusers claims he asked her out when she was 18 and he was 30. So? Yet this supposedly is one of the proofs he’s a predator. Another thing that sort of bothers me with all this is that if he was a pedophile at age 30, what changed him? We’ve seen case after case of pedophiles that start young and never change. I’ve never seen a case where a pedophile just stopped on their own without coercion. So why aren’t there any accusations from when he was 40 or 50 or 60?

stanleybmanly's avatar

The chances are that he either outgrew the “habit” or switched to a more satisfying perversion—like bible thumpin right wing politics.

Yellowdog's avatar

In 1978 while he was District Attorney of the State— he raped a 13-year-old girl named Juanita Broadrick, After biting her lip in the rape, he walked away in shades and told her, ;You better put ice on that,: This young, vouyeristic State District Attorneysufferedno consequences and went on to become President in 1992

^Source?

Yellowdog's avatar

Actually the name is Broadrick.

Sorry. But if you never heard of her, I won’t insult you. Even the New York Times has investigated the case and believes her. But google the name Tons of material you’ve probably never been exposed to,

@Yellowdog So what are you saying, that because Clinton was a sexual predator, it’s ok to elect a known sexual predator to the Senate? That’s setting a fairly low moral bar, isn’t it? Or is your comment just a “nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah”? Doesn’t sound very Christian in either case.

Brian1946's avatar

Here’s an interview with Moore’s attorney.

Part of his attempt to defend Moore, includes a bigoted remark about one of the interviewers’ religion.

seawulf575's avatar

@janbb I’m not sure exactly what @Yellowdog was saying, but it might be that we had a rapist as a president previously and nobody ever says a word about it and, in fact, it is avoided in discussions altogether in the media and by the left. To go all out against Moore now is a bit hypocritical. My personal feeling is that there is a lot of stuff being blown out of proportion with some of these “accusations”. But if it were to come out that he actually was a child molester, I would want to treat him like any other child molester….drag him naked through the streets by his dingus for the whole world to see. But I’m not ready to convict him before there are charges against him and before any charges are actually confirmed. And asking an 18 year old out for a date when you are 30 is not a crime. Actually asking a 17 year old out really isn’t a crime either. The only ones out there that could be construed as crimes would be a 14 year old being groped or someone being raped by him. He claims to not know the rapist at all and the 14 year old has been elbow deep in campaigns for Democrats for the past 15 years. I would suspect that all this would have come out long ago if true, but again…I don’t know their proofs.

MrGrimm888's avatar

I haven’t heard of Moore being accused of being a child molester. Not quite. I guess if you consider anyone under 18 a child.
Any physical relationship a grown man has with a 14 year old girl is illegal, and immoral.

The fact that he asked an 18 year old out, is not illegal, but it shows a thought process. Combined with Moore behaving unacceptably toward young girls at a local mall, and it points to that thought process again.
If you look at the pictures of his wife, when she was the age of the 14 year old accuser, they look almost identical.
It becomes a pattern of Moore’s likely desired mate. Much like a serial killer having a “type” of victim, investigators can conclude that Moore likes his females in their mid-teens, and with a certain look.
This information adds credibility to the claims of the women accusing Moore.

So. It paints a picture of Moore.
The left/media didn’t make Moore hit on underage girls at that mall, or ask out that 18 year old, or sign that girl’s yearbook (if that’s authentic,) etc. The man is being judged for his behavior. His reputation was not manufactured. Sounds like local people saw him as a creepy guy, who shouldn’t be around underage girls, and now he has accusers. The timing could certainly be politically motivated, but that doesn’t change the alleged crimes…

LostInParadise's avatar

It makes it worse that Moore portrays himself as a God fearing moralistic evangelical.

seawulf575's avatar

@MrGrimm888 I understand that. I have had older guys asking out my daughters. But in the end, there really isn’t that much wrong with it. Especially when the daughter is 18, as one of the accusers says she was. There are a lot of guys that ask out younger women. Now, asking out a 14 year old is immoral in my book as well. Asking out a 17 year old is also weird in my view, but not illegal. Asking out a girl, but not taking them out, is not really a crime. But again, I’m not going to convict him on this accusation until it is proven. I have seen cases in my life where a 14 year old created a statutory rape charge which was ultimately proven to be false. I had a very good friend that started dating a girl when he was 20. She claimed to be 18 and looked it. He went to pick her up one night. She lived with her parents. The dad asked him if he knew she was only 13. He didn’t. He left without taking the girl out and never saw her again. The point is not that I’m saying the accuser is lying or that Moore is as pure as the driven snow…just that we don’t know all the facts.
To suggest that the girl at age 14 looked a lot like his wife looked at the same age is absolutely nothing. Most guys have a “type” they like. There are things that attract people together. Men and women both have “types” that attract them. So that really doesn’t prove a thing…just adds insinuation into the mix.

seawulf575's avatar

@LostInParadise Your statement implies that you have tried and convicted him and judged him on what you perceive as his opinion of himself. I will tell you that if he were in fact found to be guilty of sexually assaulting a 14 year old 40 years ago, I would consider his subsequent attitudes to be hypocritical. But right now, all we have is several characters accusing him of things that he totally denies. Who is right? We don’t know yet. But the media is pushing hard to portray insinuation, suggestion, and opinion as fact. And by your statement, it is working.

MrGrimm888's avatar

I fail to see how falsely accusing powerful politicians, is beneficial to the media. It’s highly likely that Moore indeed did what he was accused of. The harder the right pushes against the press, the more likely I am to believe whatever they are attempting to deflect attention from. Notice that our right minded jellies, went straight to their go to Clinton. Predictable, and sad…

seawulf575's avatar

@MrGrimm888 I don’t understand why the media is biased either, but it is a fact. Let’s look at two big things going on in politics today. The first is Judge Moore, a Republican. There are 5 accusers that suddenly appear at the 11th hour, some with accusations that aren’t even of wrongdoing. The media has gone wild with this. Meanwhile, at the same time, Sen. Robert Menendez, a Democrat, has been indicted on corruption charges stemming from bribery and selling political favors for personal gain. This is the first time a sitting senator has been indicted on charges like this in probably 20 years. It is big news, yet you hear nothing on it on any of the liberal news outlets. The media outlets cover the Moore stuff 40x more than Menendez. Why? Because of the huge bias in the news media. Everyone should be upset with this, regardless of your political leanings, because it shows those that are supposed to report the news are actually working to steer public opinion instead. If you have a better explanation for this lack of coverage, I’d love to hear it.

stanleybmanly's avatar

The better explanation is staring you in the face. Moore’s ordeal is a sex scandal. And the Moore camp would rejoice if the list of accusers were merely a piddling 5. But each time another woman steps up to drive another nail in Moore’s political coffin, the media does the job which earns them a living—dangle the gaudiest shiny thing in front of the public. Sex trumps corruption every time. The bias has nothing to do with the fact that Menendez is a Democrat. It’s about the fact that a corruption scandal requires a certain level of mental acuity to draw one’s attention. The media knows its audience. What kind of NEWS is it to ANYONE that a Senator can be bribed? But EVERYONE awaits the answer to the question “will Alabama send a known flagrant pedophile to the Senate?”

And Menendez is old news. His trial was just declared a mistrial because of a hung jury; it was covered quite widely in the metro “liberal” media I follow.

But I agree with @stanleybmanly – it’s sex that sells. Franken has certainly been garnering headlines.