General Question

Spargett's avatar

If you commited a crime in another state, would you have to attend court in that state?

Asked by Spargett (5377points) August 21st, 2008 from iPhone

Hypothecially speaking: Say I live in Miami and I commit a crime like petty theft or drunk in public in Los Angeles, would I have to attend court “x” amount of days later in Los Angeles?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

10 Answers

JackAdams's avatar

Yes. Only a CA court would have jurisdiction over crimes committed in CA.

That’s the simple answer.

cak's avatar

I’m just guessing, but there’s a good chance that the answer is yes. FL and CA are too totally different places, different court systems.

In a certain town in the state I live in, you must appear in court for all speeding violations. My out-of-state friends were not too happy when they had to come back down to appear!

cheebdragon's avatar

If you do not go to court, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest….if you get pulled over in miami and they run your name you will be arrested, then most likely (depending on how serious the crime was) be extrodited, and that just sucks because you will probably have to be driven back… a van with other inmates for 8 hours each day and because they are not allowed to drive at night, you will get to stay in a different jail each night (depending on the weather it may be longer)....a friend of mine was extradited from LA to Chicago and it took over 2 weeks to get there….
You need to contact the court that is In charge of your case and speak with them about it…they might be able help you out.

marinelife's avatar

Yes. Also, all states extradite to other states, and their law enforcement agencies cooperate. It’s the 21st century, and the world of databases. You can run, but you can’t hide.

Spargett's avatar

Dont worry, I’m not wanted. Just curious.

Cardinal's avatar

Yep, ‘S’ you have to go to the scene of the crime, so to speak. Just curious, what did you do that you’re clamiming you didn’t do? (visualize stupid happy face)

autumnofage's avatar

It depends. Sometimes your lawyer or public defender can represent you without you actually being there. If there’s a plea form involved the person representing you can mail it to you and and have you go over it and sign it with a notary there. That happened this week at my work, a guy lives in TX got in trouble here and actually would have gotten a week jail time but the DA said forget the jail, he didn’t want him coming back to CA.

scamp's avatar

This is an interesting question. I have a traffic ticket from 1977 in another state. I guess they’re not looking too hard for me, huh?

fundevogel's avatar

only if you get caught.

tb1570's avatar

yes. if, as fundevogel so eloquently pointed out, you get caught.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther