General Question

ItalianPrincess1217's avatar

Could the inside of these walls cause an issue? (See details)

Asked by ItalianPrincess1217 (11979points) January 10th, 2019

I’ll try to explain best I can. 1970’s mobile home. Panel walls, layer of insulation, and behind that is some kind of very thin wood board. That wood board is warped from mositure and crystallized. I’m not sure if that’s mold or what. The reason I know it looks this way is because I went into a closet (that has the back wall exposed to the outside) and pulled off a piece of the wall panel, pushed aside the insulation, and saw the warped wood board.

We are definitely aware this home has poor insulation. As a result if we put anything against a wall that’s other side is exposed to the outdoors, it will get moist from the cold and hot air mixing. Same with all of the windows. They’re all wet with condensation. We are in the process of having them all replaced.

The walls worry me. Could this be a major issues health wise? The first panel is fine and nothing is wet or crystallized on that. The insulation must protect it somewhat. But could that other wood board be something to be concerned about? Does crystallization on wood mean mold? If so, could that be getting through the other wall and hurting us?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

chyna's avatar

Lowe’s has mold detection kits for about 10.00. I would get one of those and go from there.

ItalianPrincess1217's avatar

@chyna I’ve heard mixed things about those kinds of kits. Apparently there’s mold just about everywhere and whether it’s harmful or not is the question. I’m also wondering if it does happen to be mold, would the location of it even have an impact on our health?

snowberry's avatar

If the walls are poorly insulated and the outside layer is wood, it’s possible that the crystallization is from resin in the word coming out as a result of exposure to heat. Mold definitely doesn’t have crystals. It sounds like you will be paying a fortune in heating and cooling bills unless you live in a part of the country where you don’t need to do much of either.

ItalianPrincess1217's avatar

@snowberry The siding is aluminum which is being replaced this spring with vinyl. But the layer underneath that is a thin wood, then insulation, and then our inside walls are a panel board. That thin wood (whatever that is) has the issue with moisture and sparkly substance on it. I didn’t see anything like black mold but maybe it was white mold? I couldn’t get a good look because of the location. I’m sure it’ll be uncovered once we replace the siding but I of course would want to address it sooner if it’s a health hazard.

Dutchess_III's avatar

I’d give a contractor a call, or even call Lowes or something.

kimhart19's avatar

Not sure about crystallization on wood is mold. But if it is, it may cause allergic reactions to the sensitive part of a body. You can schedule a handyman to repair the damage.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther