General Question

gentleman2222's avatar

If I am the owner of a trade school, can I defer my salary?

Asked by gentleman2222 (29points) 1 month ago

I would like to ask someone who has a strong background in accounting:

I am starting a trade school in the U.S. (organized as an LLC) to train people to become venture capitalists and would like to know to following:

1) Can I get deferred compensation for myself – so that I can plow my salary back into the trade school?

2) Can I not get a salary – but instead, place my salary into an account where I can invest in startups if I want to?

I look forward to your answers!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

You should get yourself an accountant.
Try SCORE they are all volunteers and many are retired executives of large companies.

janbb's avatar

Sent this to the one CPA that I know of on this site. Maybe she’ll weigh in.

Love_my_doggie's avatar

The answer is amazingly simple.

As a member of an LLC, you cannot be a salaried employee. There can be no salary for you to plow back or place into an account.

If you’re the business’s sole owner, the LLC is a disregarded entity; all of your business’s items of income and expense are passed-through to you. If there are other members, the LLC is a partnership that divvies its income and expenses according to the ownership agreement. In either situation, you’re not an employee.

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther