General Question

Ltryptophan's avatar

Is there a name or more information about this strange common observation?

Asked by Ltryptophan (10341points) 1 week ago from iPhone

Do you know the springs that keep a door from slamming into the wall? They have a rubber cap. Cats and children like to activate them with a boingy twang.

But, I noticed, if you look at the spring, it sort of does something odd visually. I’m not sure just how many back and forths it takes for this shadow effect to occur that seems to leave the springs path from side to side still visible.

It’s interesting. I think the only thing that I can compare it to is how a fan blade essentially disappears while it spins. Maybe there is a relation.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

raum's avatar

Reverse rotation effect?

elbanditoroso's avatar

There is a similar effect, but the effect is not with the spring. The effect is with your eyes, and specifically their inability to keep up with the oscillation of the springs, so the ocular nerve gives up and shades it as gray.

A high speed camera sees every movement of the spring clearly. The human eye isn’t that good.

Pinguidchance's avatar

The scientific nomenclature is a blur.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther