General Question

tan253's avatar

Can you get botulism from inhaling mouldy food?

Asked by tan253 (2818points) January 28th, 2020

I took a salad dressing out of the fridge I made last week, when I opened it it looked disgusting, completely mouldy. It had garlic and ginger, and olive oil in it…. so let’s say the salad dressing grew botulism, can you inhale it??

If this is a silly question then great, but I am seriously asking this question!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

JLeslie's avatar

No. Botulism is a bacteria first of all. Secondly, it’s usually invisible with no taste, and that’s why it’s so dangerous.

Botulism causes the container to bulge out from the gases.

It sounds to me like your food just had run of the mill mold and you have nothing to worry about. There is natural mold always around us, and our body can deal with bits of it. You just had a large growth in one spot on your food, and you threw it out.

Don’t worry.

tan253's avatar

Thank you… I couldn’t drink my glass of hot milk after as I was worried some of the bacteria flew into my milk! Fairly paranoid over here, so botulism doesn’t release spores as it’s a bacteria correct?

JLeslie's avatar

Botulism needs a low oxygen environment to grow. That’s why bad canning is often thought of regarding botulism. The symptoms start very quickly. Within 36 hours, so, if you’re ok right now you’re in the clear.

Response moderated (Spam)
Kardamom's avatar

Botulism comes from the botulinum toxin, not mold.

Here’s all you ever wanted to know about botulism:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173943.php

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther