luigirovatti's avatar

I'm watching "Law and Order": Do you think the following conditions/sentences could be applied in reality as described?

Asked by luigirovatti (1995points) 6 days ago

(N.B. It’s the legal TV series, not the SVU or others. It’s the very first episode of the first season.)

SENTENCE 1: There’s a guy, 25 years old, basically healthy. He has a bad headache. His neck’s sore, but that’s ambiguous. A doctor prescribes peridine for the headache without a patient work-up. It masks the symptoms of meningitis this guy has.

SENTENCE 2: A patient walks on with a headache. Does she have a subarachnoid hemorrhage, a berry aneurism, a retro-orbital tumor, or just a simple headache?

jca2's avatar

Sounds more like “E.R” or “Grey’s Anatomy.”

Or “House.”

rebbel's avatar

As in: “I hereby sentence you to walking around with a subarachnoid hemorrhage”?

luigirovatti's avatar

@rebbel: Sentence 2 was said by the defendant in his defense (though not at court, he was defending himself from the beginning). Sentence 1 was said by an intern accusing the doctor saying Sentence 2. The doctor which said Sentence 2 gave false prescriptions to his patients because he was drunk.

Yes, once you give the context properly, it is a “realistic” conversation between two doctors.

You framed your question as if it was taking place in a legal setting.

And what do you mean by a “false prescription”? Like telling the patient he is getting a pain pill but getting a sugar pill instead? or do you mean “the incorrect prescription”?

Caravanfan has a field day with medical shows!”

luigirovatti's avatar

@zenvelo: First of all, you correctly said “incorrect prescription”. I was wrong. Second, true, the sentences, though unrelated to each other, do not take place in a legal setting. That said, I never said they were. I merely said they were said in a legal TV series. And in this series, there could also be scenes not in a courtroom.

What, exactly is a “legal TV series?” Were I Dream of Jeannie or Mr. Ed “legal tv series?”

luigirovatti's avatar

@Dutchess_III: I refer to legal TV series, though officially it’s called “legal drama”, when there are a lot of courtroom scenes, with lawyers, judges, a jury, the DA, the defendants, you know, the works.

So your point @luigirovatti is . . . . ?

luigirovatti's avatar

@Tropical_Willie: @Dutchess_III asked what I meant by “legal TV series”, and I answered.

luigirovatti's avatar

Oh, I forgot to mention, instead of legal sentences, I meant English sentences. The mention of “legal” is purely a coincidence.