Caravanfan's avatar

Here is a 5th COVID-19 AMA thread?

Asked by Caravanfan (8774points) 5 days ago

Link to the last one
https://www.fluther.com/222626/here-is-a-fourth-covid-19-ama-thread/

Which links to the prior ones.

I figured this is going to be the last one I’m going to do.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

Thank you for these threads.

Is there any data about how soon after exposure one can expect the onset of symptoms?

Caravanfan's avatar

@Hawaii_Jake 5–10 days more or less.

What to your knowledge was the earliest occurrence of COVID in the US?

Is the Covid vaccine supposed to be able to help the really sick that are in the hospital get over the virus?

Do you believe a cure or vaccine is within reach? If so, by whom?

cookieman's avatar

Would you like a hug?

Caravanfan's avatar

@janbb It was probably here as early as December. We didn’t get our first cases until late January/early Feb

Caravanfan's avatar

@chyna Once you have the virus the vaccine won’t do anything.

Caravanfan's avatar

@KNOWITALL Cure, no. Vaccine, yes

Caravanfan's avatar

@cookieman Not hugging anybody but my wife right now! Not even shaking hands.

I’ll just interject there are treatments in trials. Merck has one that I think is completing phase 2 (a friend of mine is assigned to that drug) and I don’t think it would be called a cure, I don’t know, but hopefully help the body fight it off like other antivirals work for viruses. I assume there are other trials going on for treatments. Scientists all agree treatments are needed. People will still be catching covid even with the vaccination being rolled out. Not everyone is vaccinated at once.

Caravanfan's avatar

@JLeslie Every single drug that has been “approved” for the treatment of C-19 has been shown in subsequent data to be either useless or almost useless.

cookieman's avatar

@Caravanfan: Well, I’m offering virtual ((HUGS)) regardless. Take care of yourself.

Caravanfan's avatar

Thanks @cookieman just tired but all is fine here.

@Caravanfan I’m talking about a drug in testing, I have no idea if it will pan out to be successful or not. As far as I know the Merck drug is not on the market for other uses, I think it is in development. Or, maybe you mean the Merck drug also isn’t showing results? I would think the trial would have been stopped if that was the case.

Caravanfan's avatar

@JLeslie I’m just saying that every single drug that has been approved has been either not effective or a big disappointment. I don’t expect anything new to be different.

Jeruba's avatar

Many thanks, @Caravanfan, for lavishing so much caring attention on the people here.

My question is about vaccine, and an answer in terms of probabilities is just fine. I know there are no certainties yet, and maybe not ever.

If someone receives vaccine A, does that mean (physically, medically) that they can’t receive vaccine B within x time?

So if you take A and it proves ineffective, have you lost the gamble, and B is precluded?

If A doesn’t help you, will it / can it / might it harm you?

Essentially, do you have anything to lose by taking A, even if it turns out that B is the one?

Caravanfan's avatar

“If someone receives vaccine A, does that mean (physically, medically) that they can’t receive vaccine B within x time?” Unclear at this time. But the vaccines are similar and basically do the same thing.

“So if you take A and it proves ineffective, have you lost the gamble, and B is precluded?” Unclear at this time. Probably not precluded.

“Anything to lose”. No, nothing to lose.
“If A doesn’t help you, will it / can it / might it harm you?” Probably not

Jeruba's avatar

Thank you, @Caravanfan. So I guess if I’m offered one, I should take it. That’s very helpful to know.

@Jeruba I was talking to my ankle doctor about the vaccines and he said they both seemed to be very safe to take because they are based on proteins rather than getting a small amount of the virus. He said he would feel safe getting it as soon as it was offered (A or B I assume.)

@Caravanfan I want to reiterate @Jeruba‘s thanks for your patience and help in taking the time to answer our questions here.

Caravanfan's avatar

@janbb Yes, sorta kinda. I won’t get into the immunology and molecular biology here as people’s eyes will glaze over, but there is absolutely no risk (and I am talking ZERO risk) of contracting the virus from the vaccine. It’s literally impossible. And yes, at its end point it’s based upon protein antigens, not the virus itself.

lastexit's avatar

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! I will definitely be taking the vaccine as soon as it’s available.

Any word on whether the vaccine is painful? Do they bring it to room temperature before injecting it? Or, is it still a fairly cold temperature?

Jeruba's avatar

It’s got to be less painful than dying of covid.

Caravanfan's avatar

@JLeslie Well, it’s a needle, and they’re injecting a liquid, so probably yes.
They will warm it up to room temp before injecting it.

@Caravanfan I meant more than the average injection. I don’t find that most injections hurt much, if at all. I have been told the rabies shots are rather painful compared to others. I guess that is what I meant. Obviously, it will “hurt” at least as much as any other shot.

SEKA's avatar

@Caravanfan Thank you for taking the time to satisfy our minds while you are exhausted. I have several childless aunts who have been asking me to let them know if they should get the vaccine or not. One is 70 and the other is about 78. I’m assuming that since the vaccines are protein based that it should still be safe for them as well

@Caravanfan Are the two vaccines a totally new breakthrough in vaccinations that might be the tip of the iceberg in preventing and curing other ailments?

I was talking to someone who said covid might have progressed medicine by leaps and bounds. I don’t know if they really knew what they were talking about.

It reminded me of how researchers are using the HIV cell to cure sickle cell and cancers, but in this case it wasn’t the covid cell being the miraculous thing, but rather the advancement made because of covid.

Caravanfan's avatar

@SEKA They should be first in line
@JLeslie Not sure I would go so far as to say “leaps and bounds”. It’s certainly stretched limits and changed practice. Treatments are crap and haven’t progressed anything. The vaccine technique is relatively new, though, as it uses mRNA. (The science of that is out of the scope of this discussion)

LadyMarissa's avatar

Is there any guess yet how long the vaccine will be effective??? The Flu shot is only effective for about 6 months. I guess the real Q is…how often can/should we take it???

Caravanfan's avatar

Unknown yet

LadyMarissa's avatar

@Caravanfan THANK YOU for your support!!!