General Question

chelle21689's avatar

Should I accept the job if I am waiting to hear back from another?

Asked by chelle21689 (7501points) 1 week ago from iPhone

My friend referred me to her boss and he interviewed me and offered me a job today. What she didn’t tell me was that their office in my city closed due to Covid and they’re operating an hour away. The pay is good but I really don’t want to drive an hour every day.

I just interviewed for a much bigger company, my cousin actually referred me though I was already in process of consideration. I think I would really enjoy learning the field, it’s flexible, closer to home, bonuses, i get along great with the manager, but it is lower pay. Not much more than I made at my last job but I just feel more excited. I won’t hear back for another two weeks though since they are interviewing someone next week.

Advice?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

16 Answers

chyna's avatar

I would take the job you have been offered. There is no guarantee you will get the other job.
Then if you are offered the other job, and really would like it better, give a two week notice to your employer stating that the one hour drive is just more than you can handle right now.

cookieman's avatar

Yes. A bird in hand and all that.

SergeantQueen's avatar

Whatever job you want more. Pick that one or wait.

chelle21689's avatar

@chyna if it weren’t for my friend I think I would do that but I fear it wild look bad for her since she referred me lol.

janbb's avatar

@chelle21689 Can you be honest and ask them to wait a few weeks for your response?

Response moderated (Spam)
chelle21689's avatar

Probably. Honestly, after talking to them I’m not sure if I really want the job because of the distance. I was hoping their office near me would be opened again but they don’t know when or if it will be and the job isn’t defined. I could probably try to make it my own but I need structure lol. If it were closer I would probably take it.

janbb's avatar

If you take the job offered could you work from home a couple of days a week?

chyna's avatar

If you don’t get the other job, can you afford to be unemployed?

chelle21689's avatar

@chyna yes. I have severance that lasted me several months, I’m not even on unemployment. I have several months savings and my husband is working.

chelle21689's avatar

@janbb that’s a good idea that I should ask. Thanks!

janbb's avatar

@chelle21689 I think if you can negotiate that, it will make all the difference.

chelle21689's avatar

@janbb I agree. After some thought, I think I will accept if they are willing to allow me to work remotely a couple days a week at least until an office is near me. I know it’s their goal to have one again, they’re just not sure. From what my friend told me, it seems they would wait until there are enough bodies in the office for that location…if I were hired it would be three of us from the city including my friend.

chelle21689's avatar

Update: they’re going to open up the office near me in April. I figure I am going to tough it out until then. Bad part is they can’t tell me how much medical insurance is and no retirement

chelle21689's avatar

Second update: The wife said something completely different than the husband. They’re not sure when they will open the location near me. Not sure why they keep differing on answers to me but I see it as a red flag if I were to resort to both lol. No retirement, no maternity leave (if I want a baby), no benefits except maybe medical and no PTO until after a year.

I had to decline. Good news is, I have another offer coming up soon and waiting to hear back on two other jobs. Better in line with my needs.

janbb's avatar

Sounds like a good decision.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther