Caravanfan's avatar

Here is a 7th COVID AMA thread.

Asked by Caravanfan (9234points) 1 week ago

People still keep posting on this thread, so I’ll keep it going until people lose interest.

Link to the last thread, which has links to the prior threads.
https://www.fluther.com/224586/here-is-a-6th-covid-19-ama/

RedDeerGuy1's avatar

Before Covid was It recommended to wash one’s hands in soap and water for 20 seconds? Or is it a new thing?

Jeruba's avatar

Are you seeing many covid patients who had already been vaccinated? If so, is there any general picture, such as how long since vaccination or how high the incidence of other complicating conditions?

What about incidence among healthcare colleagues who had been vaccinated?

And are you starting to get a break yet? I mean some relief and restorative downtime for you personally.

Caravanfan's avatar

“Are you seeing many covid patients who had already been vaccinated?” None

“What about incidence among healthcare colleagues who had been vaccinated?” A scattered few. Most have been vaccinated

“And are you starting to get a break yet? I mean some relief and restorative downtime for you personally.” Ha! Thanks. Sort of, yes. I’m off service for a month but I’m down at my other house dealing with contractors and home repairs.

Jeruba's avatar

If you’ll permit me as a follow-up to this segment, even if not strictly a covid question:

https://www.fluther.com/224586/here-is-a-6th-covid-19-ama/#quip3699847

If someone had been on 2L of O2, 24/7, and went to the hospital with COPD exacerbation (but not covid), would you put him on a BiPAP with 16L even if the sheer force of it seemed to be stressing him past bearing?

Caravanfan's avatar

@Jeruba Totally depends. If I’m trying to avoid intubation maybe.

Jeruba's avatar

Thank you.

gorillapaws's avatar

@Caravanfan I assume you’ve been vaccinated by now. Have you changed any of your personal pre-vaccination precautions? If you went to a movie theater would you still wear full PPE?

Caravanfan's avatar

@gorillapaws “Go to a theater?” Buahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!! (Wipes tears from eyes). No. I’m still as paranoid as usual. I still wear N95 masks everywhere. :-)

@Caravanfan When you are with coworkers away from patients (in a break room for example, or corner of the cafeteria maybe) and all of you are vaccinated, are you back to normal now without masks? Sit at a table and have lunch together? Maybe you were doing that before the vaccines with your work family pod anyway.

When do you think you will feel comfortable not wearing your N95 mask?

Do you avoid all indoor activities even with distancing? Exercise, theatre, restaurants, etc.? For instance my performing arts theater is only 20% occupancy with specific distancing between seats.

lastexit's avatar

There seems to be differing opinions by experts on whether or not you should wait 90 days after contracting covid 19 to get your first vaccination. Do you have an opinion on that?

Caravanfan's avatar

@JLeslie Nope. Everybody wears masks. I will have lunch with someone without a mask but we sit on opposite corners of the table. I act exactly the same as I did before being vaccinated. I will only relax once the all-clear whistle is blown.

I wear an N95 mask because the behind-the-ear ones irritate my ears. I just find the N95 to be more comfortable despite the tightness.

Exercise: I haven’t been to a gym in a year.
Theater: I haven’t been to a theater in a year
Restaurant: I have done outdoor seating but that’s it.
Museum: Haven’t been to a museum in a year, although I reupped my membership to SFMOMA just to support them.

Now, the one place where I have relaxed a bit is that my band does come over and we play, mask optional. But we play in the garage with the garage door and side door open and we stay 6 feet apart. However, with our recent lockdown I cancelled band practice for a month. Now that it’s better I reinstated it. But my band mates are as careful as I am so I know their exposure is low.

gorillapaws's avatar

@Caravanfan Weren’t you planning on driving to Nevada in full surgical PPE to watch Dune? Or was it the new Bond film?

Caravanfan's avatar

@gorillapaws Ha! Good memory. Both. But neither are out yet, and I was kind of being tongue in cheek. It looks like Dune will be released on HBO Max so I can watch it at home.

sadiesayit's avatar

Do you know what we can expect as more and more people get vaccinated? What I mean: will there be a gradual relaxation of covid practices as more people get vaccinated, or will we need to hang tight until a certain percentage has been vaccinated and only then things can begin to safely relax, or something else?

Caravanfan's avatar

@sadiesayit As cases continue to drop with increasing vaccination, then we can expect in the coming months for things to open up.

Jeruba's avatar

1. What do you do when a designated next-of-kin who is present and is without an AMD (advance medical directive)

• seems unable to make a heathcare decision for the patient?
• makes a heathcare decision for the patient that you think is wrong?

2. What do you do when a designated next-of-kin who is present and is holding an AMD and/or a POA

• is plainly drunk, on drugs, or otherwise impaired?

3. What if you just suspect the AMD-holding next-of-kin is on drugs? Say, talking a little off and looking or smelling compromised, and maybe having too-large or too-small pupils? Are you legally bound to act on his or her decisions?

4. What if there are two of them, and they disagree, and time is running out?

I wish I could say this is entirely hypothetical, but it is not.

Jeruba's avatar

And

5. Do questions like these come up very often?

6. What legal protections do you and other practitioners have when they do?

Caravanfan's avatar

@Jeruba Your question is out of the scope of Covid. I recommend you speak with an attorney.

Jeruba's avatar

Well, I wasn’t asking for legal advice but rather what you or a practitioner in your position might do under those circumstances, which could well come up in the context of covid. But I understand your hesitancy. Thank you anyway.

longgone's avatar

@Caravanfan Do you reuse your N95s? If so, how (long) do you store them until they’re safe to use again? I keep hearing conflicting advice.

@Jeruba My sympathies. I really am so sorry you have to go through this. Wish I could give you a hug.

Caravanfan's avatar

@longgone When I’m doing patient care and I am coming out of a COVID room I generally discard them and get a new one. When I’m doing something like going to the store I will reuse until I think they kind of look grody. I probably should change them more often, but I don’t.

@Jeruba Agreed. I’m sorry, I just don’t feel comfortable with that kind of advice.

Jeruba's avatar

It’s all right. I understand. I really was just asking what you do in those circumstances. I haven’t been in them myself, but the question still has meaning to me.

Caravanfan's avatar

@Jeruba Okay. For all your questions, if we feel poor decisions are being made, then we involve an ethics team.

raum's avatar

@Caravanfan Non-covid question…who is usually on an ethics team?

@Jeruba No advice. Just hugs.

Caravanfan's avatar

@Caravanfan Usually a combination of physicians, nurses, administrators and social workers all who have been trained by taking ethics courses.

Jeruba's avatar

How long are the current vaccinations supposed to be good for?

We don’t have historical data yet, so this is about expectation, not hardened fact.

Jeruba's avatar

Ok. How did they arrive at a one-year frequency for flu shots? Just direct observation? Or have dosages been calculated to that interval? I never even thought to wonder this before.

Caravanfan's avatar

@Jeruba Well, flu is different in that it’s seasonal, and that the strains are different every year.

Does aerobic exercise increase your oxygenation levels? (I just shoveled snow for an hour.)

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Caravanfan's avatar

@janbb No, but it does increase your physical fitness.

^^ That I knew. Thanks.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Jeruba's avatar

@Caravanfan, if you get your two shots of, say, Pfizer or Moderna, and then a better, more comprehensive vaccine comes out, what then? Can you get another vacc, or is it too late?

Of course I don’t mean cutting the line and getting extras when some people have had none yet. I’m just asking about doubling up, in terms of efficacy versus some deleterious effect.

Caravanfan's avatar

@Jeruba There should be no problem in getting different vaccines. There is, of course, no data on it but theoretically it shouldn’t be an issue.

Should I not take a ibuprofen tonight (Wednesday) for a back ache if I am getting the 2nd shot on Friday?

Caravanfan's avatar

@janbb Taking ibuprofen won’t affect your shot in any way.

sadiesayit's avatar

Do you know what’s going on with the vaccines and the South African strain? I’m hearing from people I know and seeing headlines suggesting the vaccines aren’t as effective against it, but I don’t understand what that means (assuming it’s true).

Are warm or cold compresses better for a sore post-shot arm?

Caravanfan's avatar

@janbb Probably cold is better.

Next question – Any problem taking zolpidem after getting the shot today?

Thank you. I have no more questions right now. Appreciate the help!