munty707's avatar

Can fasting reverse type 2 diabetes?

Asked by munty707 (22points) 1 month ago

I am having Type 2 diabetes. Let me know whether fasting can cure type 2 diabetes.

cookieman's avatar

From experience, I know that a strict diet of protein and vegetables, with no processed sugar and very few carbs can get you close to “cured”.

Of course, there’s no actual cure, but I stuck to that diet fir two years, lost 60-pounds, and got my hemoglobin level down to 5 — which is almost pre-diabetic.

I was at an 11 before.

Ask the doctor.

One cannot fast forever. When eating is resumed, one must still be mindful of one’s diet.

Exactly. Cut way back on your calories. I am assuming obesity is the cause of your diabetes?

Response moderated (Unhelpful)

People go on a Ketogentic diet with type 2. Here is an article about weight loss and type 2

I have a friend that lost 45 pounds in 5 months on Keto diet, check with your doctor before starting a diet and if you take meds to increase your insulin level check your blood glucose level often, he went to six times a day. He is down to 6.9 A1C and hopes to off Type 2 meds later this year.

People with diabetes need to be careful about what they consume, when they consume it, what their blood sugar is, etc. Fasting could be dangerous. If you have diabetes you need to talk to your doctor, read up on healthy diabetic diets, and learn how to monitor your sugar. Losing weight sometimes can “cure” type two diabetes, it depends on the individual, but you have to do it safely.

My ex-boyfriend was beginning to develop diabetes, not on insulin yet, and he switched to a healthier diet, basically a diabetic diet suggested by his doctor, and he lost 30 pounds and never had to go on insulin, the problem resolved itself. That was 5 years ago, still doing well from what I can tell. I don’t communicate with him much.

I’m not a doctor.

Lightlyseared's avatar

Fasting can’t but a very low calorie diet can. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168743/ If you can stick it.
There have since been larger trials in the UK and it can be an effective way to treat type 2 diabetes. However the side effects (you feel like crap basically)in the early few weeks can deter people from completing.