Marionana43's avatar

Anyone holding off on getting the COVID-19 vaccine?

Asked by Marionana43 (13points) 1 month ago

Please explain why you’ve decided not to get the vaccine.

It’s too late to hold off – had both a month or more ago.

Nope. Already done.

I have one friend who had been holding off for her and her mom. She is planning to vaccinate her mom this week, and she goes next week.

I also have one family member holding off because of severe reactions, but she wants to be vaccinated, she’s just nervous. For now she still is extremely cautious, rarely goes far from her house.

I did have a few other family members “waiting” but they are vaccinated now, they just didn’t want to be in the initial couple of months.

Everyone else I know who is not vaccinated aren’t holding off, they are just not planning to get vaccinated period. Some of them have been conspiracy theorists or dismissed covid as “just a virus” since the beginning.

cookieman's avatar

Nope. Done and dusted.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Personal Attack)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated
kritiper's avatar

Not me and no one I know. HOORAY!

Smashley's avatar

Nope, all donezo.

Unlike some people, I believe in my role in the collective good. I am a citizen, I am eligible, so I do my duty.

hello321's avatar

No, I’m not holding off. Why? There’s a global pandemic.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)

I went to a graduation party on Saturday, and sat with a couple who are refusing to get the vaccine. Obviously they weren’t the ones graduating.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)

My city, The Villages, runs through three counties, Sumter, Lake, and Marion. Most of my city is in Sumter County and most of Sumter County is my city, the rest of Sumter is rural. 58% of the people living in Sumter are over 65, and most of them live in The Villages. Actually, the majority of over 65 for all three counties live here, we have a population of 130,000 people and The Villages is a 55 and up community.

New York Times published these recent stats for the three counties, I’m thrilled! Not much vaccine hesitancy where I live.

Vaccination rates from today’s NYT:

Sumter 56% with 82% of 65+

Marion 27% with 63% of 65+

Lake 33% with 78% of 65+

Keep in mind The Villages is always touted in the media as full of crazy right wing people, but most of them are putting their arms out so they can back to their craziness I guess.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
lastexit's avatar

No,I’m getting my second one this Friday. One of my daughter-in-law’s sisters won’t get it because she thinks it will change her DNA. She’s done the “research” and has talked her mother and father into not getting their second dose. Other than that, everyone I know has gotten their vaccines.

si3tech's avatar

@Marionana43 Oops wrong thread. Welcome to Fluther.

seawulf575's avatar

No, I haven’t gotten the vaccine and am not sure I will. I just had the disease last month. I figure I’m pretty well set on antibodies at this point. Even the CDC says it isn’t necessary to get a vaccine for a few more months. But I made it more than a year without getting it in a job where I am in stores, bars, and restaurants daily. So I’m more of the “take my chances” mode at this time.

kritiper's avatar

@seawulf575 “Take my chances?” Take YOUR chances??? I wonder if other people you come in contact with are ready to take YOUR chances…..
It could be a matter of life and death, or life-long problems, lung transplants…
Are you ready to be responsible for the possible COVID related problems of others??

I heard about a guy who had COVID. For the third time! Can YOU be that lucky??

mazingerz88's avatar

My great Aunt Pompee just told me today she’s still deciding. She’s in her early 90s.

RocketGuy's avatar

I did my research and decided to get it as soon as it became available to me.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

No get my first one this Friday.

RocketGuy's avatar

@mazingerz88 – survival rate of Covid for 90 year olds is not good. Hope she decides “yes” soon. My 86 year old mom went ASAP, so got both shots some time ago.

seawulf575's avatar

@kritiper If other people that come in contact with me have chosen not to get the vaccine, then we are in the same boat and they probably have the same outlook I have and there is no problem. If they HAVE chosen to get the vaccine then coming in contact with me shouldn’t be any threat to them since they have been inoculated so there is no problem. Unless you are trying to say the vaccine doesn’t work? And if that is the case, then what’s the point of getting the vaccine?
Having just had Covid, my immune system is ready for it. Even the CDC acknowledges that. And if I can’t get it, then I can’t spread it. So what is the big crisis?

canidmajor's avatar

@seawulf575 That’s not how it works. You can get it, but your immune system (if it’s working properly) prevents you from getting sick. You can infect others, and yes, your viral load will be much less, but you can still be a danger. The vaccine and the “immunity” are not shields, they are more like very effective treatment methods.

@seawulf575 This one time we semi-agree. If you just had COVID you probably are immune. I’d feel safe next to right now. I will tell you though, I have two friends who got covid19 early on, and by the time vaccines were offered had no antibodies (or maybe it was low antibodies) left so they got the shot. I have another friend who had super duper antibodies.

I find it shocking the antibodies might disappear in less than a year.

Anyway, just letting you know so you know. You can always get an antibody test in 3 months or 6 months, and see where you are at if you want to consider being vaccinated, or just want to know if you have some immunity left. I do that for tetanus. I get checked to see my immunity rather than getting a shot every ten years, because I had a bad experience with my last booster, but I had two tetanus shots close together.

crazyguy's avatar

@JLeslie Just because antibodies decline, or disappear altogether, does not mean the immunity is gone. This is because memory cells in the body can and do cause antibodies to be produced in the event of an attack by the same pathogen.

@canidmajor That is another huge lie being promulgated on the American public. We do know, thanks to the CDC that there were only 5,800 positives among 77 million vaccinated people. That means the virus occurred to a measurable extent in only 5,800 vaccinated people. Since the PCR test takes a nasopharyngeal sample, it is reasonable to say that a vaccinated person can spread covid .0075% of the time. I LIKE THOSE ODDS!

canidmajor's avatar

No, @crazyguy, it’s basic medical science, I’ve had discussions to this effect with actual physicians long before Covid. Because I have been pretty seriously medically compromised in my life, I have learned about this. I get that you want to believe what your fringe groups on Facebook say, but lots of people that are way smarter and more educated than you have been studying contagion for a long damned time.

@crazyguy I don’t know the science about the memory cells you talk about, but I’ll look into it.

I stopped listening to a lot of the information the last few months, because pretty much I made up my mind a long long time ago if I’m vaccinated and the other people near me are vaccinated I’m fine no mask, and back to normal, and my friends and community are very vaccinated. I am glad it’s still masks required in stores. Almost no one has ever worn a mask outside here. I did when I think I’m not going to be able to distance, but I’m one of the few.

I do read up about new studies regarding vaccine efficacy and other articles specific to the vaccine, but like this CDC announcement made today, where I live we have been doing that for months now. It seemed logical to me all along. Fauci has been saying the same for months.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Personal Attack)

@crazyguy Fauci has been saying for months if all people who are together are vaccinated we can take off the masks. Don’t confuse Fauci with what other people are saying. He has said for many months that when people are outside and if they can distance it’s reasonably low risk.

Fauci said months ago that he thinks it will wind up that vaccinated people have an extremely low chance of shedding virus that could infect someone else, but that we didn’t know for sure yet. Looks like that is the case, although more importantly as more and more people are vaccinated the herd will stop large outbreaks from happening even if someone is shedding virus.

I know your news and memes attack Fauci, but he actually has been fairly reasonable and reasoned, it’s the commentators on TV who twist his words. The Democrat and Republican bias news twists his words. Not so much a twist, but people edit what they hear and absorb to fit their own narrative.

CDC is just a guideline, and in my opinion the CDC was slow to change the guideline to err on the side of caution, and because a whole bunch of people were still not vaccinated until recently. Makes sense. Like you said, many of us were already doing differently.

CDC looks at the overall on society. Like how we were talking about suicides on the other Q, CDC looks at behaviors and risks over all.

Response moderated (Personal Attack)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)

@crazyguy Follow CDC or follow Fauci, which one? Democrats still were picking and choosing what they were hearing, and so was the political right. My point is Fauci was not always parroting the CDC guidelines. He answered honestly and so does Gottlieb. Fauci often says, “I don’t want to get into trouble here, because we don’t know for sure yet, but I predict…” I can’t help it that people weren’t listening to him in full.

Plus, which left? Not all Democrat mayors and governors had the same orders in place.

My Democrat friends where I live are split. I know plenty of Democrats who have been out playing golf and pickle ball for over 6 months now without a mask. Other friends who were like me and once we got our vaccines, we were back at indoor zumba, no masks, and dancing in big crowds outdoors. Then I have other friends who will say, “the CDC now says it’s ok to X” who literally follow it to the letter, but I find that annoying, especially when Democrats are screaming something that likely will be proven wrong, but we just don’t know yet.

The Republicans keep putting words in the mouths of all Democrats based on a few Democrats who they quote, and often quote them out of context. The Republicans are saying they are being forced to get a vaccine. No they aren’t. No one is forced. They just say shit to fit their narrative that Biden is a socialist Dictator and all your freedoms are being taken away. Under Biden we continue to vaccinate and more and more life is getting back to normal. The Republicans who don’t see that need to open their eyes. Some do see it, some don’t.

Here is Gottlieb a few days ago. He’s former FDA for anyone who doesn’t know. Video is short. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gottlieb-says-nation-can-take-decline-in-covid-cases-to-the-bank/ar-BB1g2cbQ?ocid=uxbndlbing&fbclid=IwAR1FEWQeZz9W_Yj5lIr5e5pC7F9g_mM13b-d3DbSPXokSvYhbGdltmEXsd0

KRD's avatar

We are holding off on getting the vaccine for a few mouths.

cookieman's avatar

@KRD: They actually inject it into you arm.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
crazyguy's avatar

@JLeslie I have watched the Scott Gottlieb video before- he actually makes sense! However, the deniers still insist on believing that masks are the greatest invention since sliced bread. I believe that masks reduce the risk for fully vaccinated people of catching covid from .0075% to less than .0007. However, to me, personally, that is no longer meaningful.

Response moderated
kritiper's avatar

@seawulf575 What I meant was that if you want to take (or avoid) certain risks in your life, there is no reason whatsoever for me to assume (or avoid) the same risks. I chose to get the vaccine by my own free will.

seawulf575's avatar

@kritiper I have no concern about others getting the vaccine. I fully support you right to choose to get it. You don’t hear me bad-mouthing anyone for wanting to get it. I find it telling that others choose not to give me that same right.
No one can really explain to me how the immunity from getting the disease is worse than getting the vaccine. They (the manufacturers of the vaccines) have already stated that these vaccines aren’t perfect and that they don’t last but for a couple months. So what is the difference? The exact same comments can be made about the immunities created from having Covid. Do you really believe that the vaccine is somehow a panacea? That if you get it you cannot get Covid? That you can’t spread it? None of the professionals are even claiming that.

Michaellb's avatar

Because only fools blindly get in early. Ask the people who made lead paint or asbestos. Or the people who waited to get married. What what do they have in common? The first ones are screwed. The second ones are fine.

kritiper's avatar

@seawulf575 As bad as COVID can be, I’d rather not get it even once. I can survive the vaccine even though it isn’t or may not be foolproof against COVID. Can you say unequivocally that you could survive COVID just once? What about the people you could pass it on to? Could they be (supposedly) as lucky as you??

@crazyguy LOL. Ok, you made me laugh. Just wear your mask for now in indoor public places so the won’t get a vaccine people wear their mask.

seawulf575's avatar

@kritiper I can say, unequivocally, that I could survive Covid. I did already. As for those around me who might get it? I can say, unequivocally, that they could survive it too. They did already. I have known quite a few people that have had Covid and only one had any really bad symptoms. Not bad enough to be hospitalized, but pretty ugly.
On the flipside, I have known several people that have gotten the vaccine as well. Some had no real issues. Others had worse symptoms than I had with the actual disease. Gee…sounds like the exact same thing! Some people that get Covid have no symptoms. Some have very mild symptoms. Others get whapped with everything you can think of, up to and including death. Some people that get the vaccine have no symptoms. Some have very mild symptoms. Others get whapped with everything you can think of, up to and including death.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

So you have had Covid-19 @seawulf575 ?
And what I gather you seem to think getting the vaccine will be worse?
The second shot made Mrs Squeeky sick for three days than bingo fine.
Is that what makes you skeptical of the vaccine?
Is that what you have witnessed first hand or what you have read out of one your Fright wing, super boring blog sites?

seawulf575's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 I have had Covid-19. But the rest of your suppositions are out to lunch. Go back and take a look at my answers on this thread. I have never said the vaccine would be worse. I just don’t see the point for myself. It’s sort of like closing the barn door after the horse gets out.

However that answer seems to incense some of my fellow jellies. They believe they are the only ones with valid opinions and will attack anyone that dares to offer any other. And I find it interesting that you throw out the “Fright wing, super boring blog sites” as an attempt to slam. Because the ones that attack me do so based on information they have gotten off their left wing outlets. They can’t really debate why I am wrong (as they believe), but they are sure I am. I, on the other hand, have even gone to the CDC website for information and have supported my views with it. Apparently that isn’t good enough because Vox or Huffpo didn’t agree.

jca2's avatar

@seawulf575: If I remember correctly, you weren’t tested for it, therefore, how do you know you had it? You really don’t. You’re assuming. If I’m mistaken, and you were tested for it, then my apologies.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Yes @seawulf575 could you confirm you were indeed tested for Covid-19?

crazyguy's avatar

@JLeslie As far as I am personally concerned, I couldn’t’ care less if the people I come in contact with are vaccinated or not. Because I am vaccinated and protected form the infection.

I do wear a mask where it is required. Otherwise, I do not.

@crazyguy Personally, I want to give it another month of mask wearing in stores while people are still getting vaccinated. I know a lot of people are in a panic that we won’t reach herd immunity and the anti-vaxxers are a plague of their own, but people are still getting vaccinated. I hope the country can get above 50% by the end of May, or at least most states.

One reward that I don’t know if it was mentioned above is soon you can take a cruise if you are vaccinated. That might get some young adults to put out their arm.

DeSantis made some sort of announcement, actually I think it was an executive order, no more mask orders by mayors. We had mask orders in several counties up until now. I don’t know if the stores can still make it a policy, I assume they can. I also don’t know what Disney and the other parks plan to do.

canidmajor's avatar

”As far as I am personally concerned, I couldn’t’ care less if the people I come in contact with are vaccinated or not. Because I am vaccinated and protected form the infection.”

Geez.

Good thing some of are concerned about our fellow humans, even though you’re not, @crazyguy

^This kind of thinking is the reason India is in the shape it’s in today. About 350,000 cases a day, about 4,000 deaths a day. But hey, I got mine.

I looked up Disney, and for now Disney is keeping current measures even with the new order DeSantis just put out there. Disney was allowing people posing for photos and sitting at tables to take off their masks already, but otherwise is very strict with the mask wearing. I’m thinking this year might be the best time for me to go to see anything new. Less chance of catching a cold.

@chyna Is it why? Is that what Indians (in India) are saying? I thought India was just feeling fairly safe since they went the whole year doing fairly well, and they were mistaken to feel so confident. Plus, they went out into huge crowds for the holiday celebrations. I think of the Indian culture as caring about the lives of others. I really don’t know the answer for sure, I just wondered if you saw some sort of report that Indians are being defiant to health recommendations because they don’t care if other people get sick.

I think @crazyguy is just saying if he’s vaccinated he feels statistically safe that he won’t catch covid or give it to anyone, which is most likely true.

@JLeslie if you read what he wrote “As far as I’m personally concerned, I couldn’t care less if the people I come in contact with are vaccinated or not. Because I am vaccinated and protected from infection.”
I read that as not caring about his fellow human beings. And since he is an Indian, it doesn’t sound like he is concerned about what is going on in India. But that’s just how I’m reading it.
You read it any way you want.

@chyna He also believes the vaccine works. What I don’t understand is do most Democrats believe it works? I know they do where I live. We (most Democrats) are still taking some precautions to err on the side of caution, but we have changed a lot of what we are willing to do now that we are vaccinated, and so far so good. My husband is still reluctant to eat in a restaurant. It’s hard for a lot of people to let go of some of the safety measures, I understand that.

@crazyguy is Indian, but has lived in America for probably over 40 years. I really don’t know how long he has been here, but it’s a long time, and people who spend most of their lives in America become “Americanized.” Even American culture has changed in 40 years I assume Indian culture has also.

As you said, we just read it differently. That’s fine.

crazyguy's avatar

@JLeslie a lot of people are in a panic that we won’t reach herd immunity and the anti-vaxxers are a plague of their own Well said. Herd immunity implies that vaccinated people have a significantly lower chance of catching COVID-19. To me, personally, that means I cannot spread it either. However, because of a misdirection play by the Democrats, a lot of their supporters choose to not believe that. And that behavior is precisely what is keeping perfectly reasonable people (like my son) from getting the jab.

When the Democrats decide they no longer need COVID to keep their supporters on their side, resistance to getting the vaccine will snap, and Democrats will take the credit!

crazyguy's avatar

@JLeslie A group of us are booked on a Princess Panama Canal cruise in January next year. I had not heard of any special concessions for vaccinated people. Can you send me a link? We will sail on January 28 from Fort Lauderdale.

crazyguy's avatar

@canidmajor Good thing some of are concerned about our fellow humans, even though you’re not, @crazyguy Some people cannot see the forest for the trees. You, my friend, fit that description exactly!

crazyguy's avatar

@chyna ^This kind of thinking is the reason India is in the shape it’s in today. About 350,000 cases a day, about 4,000 deaths a day. But hey, I got mine. You display not only shocking ignorance, but also a lack of sensitivity. There is zero evidence that vaccinated people were, in any way, connected to the upsurge in India.

canidmajor's avatar

Yes, @crazyguy, you’ve made it clear that you don’t care if the forest is clear cut, as long as you get to sit in the shade.
We got that right away.

crazyguy's avatar

@JLeslie @chyna Thank you @JLeslie for attempting to defend me. At least you try to understand what a poster says before jumping on him/her!

The reason I believe the vaccine works is the CDC study showing 5,800 infections among 77 MILLION vaccinated folks! Of course, the Democrats would have you believe that the 77 million were miraculously capable of transmitting the disease even if they themselves did not have it!

I hope the doubters wake up soon, and realize that more people will get vaccinated if they can shed the damn mask!

Princess has announced a mandatory vaccination for all passengers for upcoming cruises in Europe. Here’s a link, but it says what I just said. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-line-covid-vaccine-policy/amp/

Locally (in Florida) there is a lot of news about cruises, because DeSantis wants the industry to start back up for Florida ports. I assume it’s being carried by the national news also? This article is good, I recommend reading it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.floridatoday.com/amp/4896178001. It says basically what I’ve been hearing for a few weeks now. Big efforts are being made at Florida ports to bring the vaccine to the crews to get them vaccinated. Over 95% of crew and passengers will need to be vaccinated to sail. I assume this allows for people who truly cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons.

Smashley's avatar

This whole debacle is an interesting case study for future historians. “How much science can a society take? How smart are we?”

We’ve got so and so defending anti-vax because we’re exercising too much caution in controlling the virus, which therefore must be a plot by the party in power to destroy the economy; this guy over here thumping his chest about how he knows he had the virus, and knows he cant get it again, and knows it cant take him or anyone he cares about down, and doesnt give two shits about any other human being on the planet. Now the vaccine is lead paint apparently, so we’ll have to use it for 70 years before anyone realizes it’s bad… oy.. you guys. I might need another 3 year break.

crazyguy's avatar

@Smashley I have no idea who your rant is aimed at, or which so and so you are referencing.

Please clarify.

canidmajor's avatar

If I could give a hundred GAs to @Smashley!

I thought it was perfectly clear.

crazyguy's avatar

@canidmajor Obviously you understood @Smashley‘s answer!

@janbb Obviously., you are more intelligent than me.

^^ That might be the first thing we are in agreement on!

canidmajor's avatar

@crazyguy Obviously I’m more intelligent than you, too.

crazyguy's avatar

@canidmajor @janbb Aha, now we have the makings of an intellectual duel. Any ideas?

seawulf575's avatar

@jca2 (and @SQUEEKY2) No, I had an illness early on that tested out to be the flu. However back in February, I got sick, went the next day and tested positive for Covid-19. I isolated myself as best I could in our home, venturing out of our spare room only to use the bathroom and occasionally get food or water…wearing gloves and wiping everything down with disinfectant the whole time. About 7 days into my isolation, my son started feeling poorly and went to get tested and tested positive as well. At about his 6th or 7th day of isolation, my wife started feeling bad and got tested. Positive again. None of us had horrible, life threatening issues. I was worried about my wife because of her comorbidities, but she sailed through it with no real problems. Her biggest complaint was losing her sense of smell and taste. Annoying but not life threatening.

I think it is time to ask…without looking it up, what percentage of people that get this disease do you believe get hospitalized and/or die?

seawulf575's avatar

@crazyguy you make a good point about people being reluctant to get the vaccine. Right now, what is being put out from those in charge is that (a) the vaccines are available, (b) once you are vaccinated you will still be expected to live your life as if you were not, and© there is every chance you can still spread the disease when you are vaccinated. When you look at all that, it means that there is really no reason to get the vaccine. They are also attempting to create a reason through coercion. If you don’t get vaccinated you won’t be able to fly on a plane, travel anywhere, enter federal buildings, etc, etc, etc.
Look at all that as a whole for a moment. There are side effects to the vaccines. They may not be prevalent, but they exist. Some are fatal. So our government is pushing that without being willing to back off on any of their draconian power grabs over your private lives, but are willing to double down on trying to grab more power. So what is the incentive for getting vaccinated? There are many people that don’t see the reasoning and they see our leadership that is bumbling through it and trying to be more intrusive.

RocketGuy's avatar

So paranoid about govt. power grab. Why not watch out for money grab? That is what they are actually doing.

crazyguy's avatar

@seawulf575 Reading your posts is like finally getting a deep breath! I hear and feel your argument and it goes straight to my head.

I watched yesterday’s Tucker today. He spoke about the government trying to mandate vaccines for Americans. Not directly, of course. But through colleges denying admission to the unvaccinated, and through other so-called non-governmental institutions. While I generally agree with him, I feel that anybody with proven antibodies deserves some special considerations. I believe antibody tests are quick and relatively cheap.

So let me ask you this; as a former Covid patient would you willingly submit to an antibody test as often as medical science deems it necessary, to be administered to former Covid patients and vaccinated people, and positives enjoying special privileges in society?

crazyguy's avatar

@RocketGuy Money is power, and in many cases, power is money. So a power grab leads to money accumulation and usually vice versa. If you don’t believe me, check out the finances of the BLM leader, AOC and Omar, before and after they got their power.

seawulf575's avatar

@crazyguy I’m all for helping medical science. But think of what you are suggesting. You know how a bureaucracy works. They will not set a standard. Example, they will not come out and say “If you’ve had Covid, get this test for antibodies. If you have the antibodies, you are free to resume your normal lives for the next 6 months.”. They. Will. Not. Do. That. They will put out something instead that says “if you want to fly on an airplane, take a cruise, etc, etc, you will have to have had an antibody test within the past 2 weeks. If not, you will have to be tested again to show you are safe.” Remember, there is no science involved when they make these decisions. They are making things that sound like they are backed by science, but not really….things that sound like they are caring. We should all know by this time that politicians do not care about their constituents.

RocketGuy's avatar

@crazyguy – AOC and Omar have power? I think they just like to make a stink. They still have to convince the other 200+ Democrats to vote their way.

crazyguy's avatar

@seawulf575 I totally agree with you that government will mess up even the greatest ideas.

Here is what I would do:

1. Offer an antibody test for a zero-to-small cost.
2. Anybody showing presence of a certain level of antibodies will receive a hard-to-duplicate proof of the result.
3. The proof will get the holder a vaccination bypass and the same privileges as are granted to fully vaccinated people.
4. The privileges will, at a minimum, include making optional the wearing of masks and admission to high-capacity indoor events like the theater, symphonies, sports events and travel.

Can the government fuck this up? You bet. Will it? Probably. But what do we have to lose by trying?

crazyguy's avatar

@RocketGuy AOC recently surprised many senior Democratic House members with $5,000 contributions to their re-election campaigns, much to the consternation of these politicians. See

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/02/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-campaign-contributions-478943

Ilhan Omar’s net worth climbed from an estimated -$25000 to -$65,000 in May 2019 (see

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/politicians/ilhan-omar-net-worth/)

to about $3 million (see https://www.glusea.com/ilhan-omar-net-worth/)

Of course, Ilhan Omar earned all her money. In addition to serving in the House, she was a community nutrition educator.

In 2018, Omar earned $49,045 from the state of Minnesota as the Minnesota House representative for District 60B. She also received $9,300 from the organization Women Organizing Women Network, which aims to empower women to become engaged citizens and community leaders. Omar’s husband, Ahmed Abdisalan Hirsi, reported $33,214 as his total income for 2018.

The most ostentatious of the three is of course Patrisse Khan-Cullors, the BLM founder. She recently went on a home-buying binge. What makes her fortune all th more surprising is that, according to her, ” “I have never taken a salary from the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation,” Cullors stated.

Among her work outside of Black Lives Matter, Khan-Cullors most recently signed “a multi-platform” deal with Warner Bros. Television Group in October. She’s also raked in earnings from her consultant work, as well as being an adjunct professor of the Social Justice and Community Organizing program at Arizona’s Prescott College. One thorough look at her portfolio, and it’s clear that Cullors has successfully secured her own bag outside of the Black Lives Matter Foundation.

I do not begrudge anybody making money. However, there are legitimate ways to make a fortiune and then there is the politicians’ way. If you think money does not equate to power, all I can say is you have not seen enough of the world.

seawulf575's avatar

@crazyguy The other part that you are missing, though you wrote it several times in your last response to me, is that the governmental overreach is that they are making your rights conditional. You have the right to all sorts of things…providing you do x, y, and z.

The other problem with this that isn’t really addressed is that the reason the government won’t commit to anything like this is that they would then have to establish ending criteria for their “crisis”. Face it…they are milking this intrusion into our lives for all its worth and they will not let that go easily. Certainly not because letting it go is the right thing to do!

crazyguy's avatar

@seawulf575 I wouldn’t even mind conditional rights; as long as the condition isn’t adopting the Democratic playbook!

seawulf575's avatar

@crazyguy The problem with conditional rights is that they aren’t rights at all. Our constitution gives us many rights. There are also laws that enhance and expand those rights. When one party suddenly decides, unilaterally, that those rights are only yours if you meet certain criteria, they are becoming a totalitarian state. You know…tyrants. They are doing all the exact things they accused Trump of doing when he wasn’t.

crazyguy's avatar

@seawulf575 Exactly. The Democrats will give you your full rights…if you disavow any affection for anybody other than KING JOE!