General Question

jsc3791's avatar

Carpal Tunnel or something else?

Asked by jsc3791 (1988points) September 11th, 2008

I have a little hard bump on the center of my wrist (the side on top of my arm). I sometimes have really sharp pains in that hand…almost paralyzing pains. The bump showed up a few days ago after some physical activity and has not gone away by taking Aleve or resting my wrist.

Is this carpal tunnel or could it be something else?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

Lightlyseared's avatar

Well like most medical questions the best person to ask is your doctor.

As for your question it is a long time since I did anatomy but as far as I know the carpal tunnel is on the under side of the wrist. Carpal tunnel syndrome presents as numbness, tingling and pain in the thumb and fingers of one or both hands. It is caused by pressure on the nerve that passes into the hand caused by swelling in a limited space by repetiive movements.

So to answer your question no your lump does not sound like carpal tunnel syndrome and you should go and see your doctor.

jsc3791's avatar

Thanks for the help! I have heard similar guesses from co-workers about it not being carpal tunnel.

With my lovely High Deductible Health Plan, god only knows how much it will cost to see a specialist!

…But that is another post all together!

Babo's avatar

Babo would get that checked out by a doctor.

jeanm's avatar

I have had carpal tunnel in both wrists, and what you describe ain’t it.
Other than seeing a doctor ASAP I would recommend brief applications of ice for the pain.

XrayGirl's avatar

carpal tunnel usually does not include a lump…..if it persists for more than 2 weeks, see an MD.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther