flo's avatar

In what way can a moderator say that this website is populated by not bright enough people?

Asked by flo (13204points) 1 week ago

In what way can a moderator say that without saying these words? _ This website is mostly fluffy topics

Why would they want to moderate a website if they didn’t respect the participants? Can you provide more context, please.

stanleybmanly's avatar

Not steppin in this one!

kneesox's avatar

What would be the point of saying that? To get people to quit? Or to make them try to be smarter?

kritiper's avatar

Why would a moderator want to say such a degrading thing about the users?? I already know that people in general don’t know everything and it didn’t take me long to figure that out about the visitors to this site.

Yeahright's avatar

1. In what way can a moderator say that this website is populated by not bright enough people?
I fail to see the relation of this question and the question in the body of the post. This Q refers to the cognitive ability of the users, and the question in the body refers to the nature of the topics. There are many ways to rephrase this and you can sugar coat the wording, but the message will still be insulting.

2. In what way can a moderator say that without saying these words? This website is mostly fluffy topics
Our users enjoy unsubstantial exchanges.
This website is about idle debate.
This website deals essentially with futile blather.

SavoirFaire's avatar

[Mod Says]

For the record, this question is not based on anything that a moderator here has actually said (to @flo or anyone else).

Zaku's avatar

Assuming I’m accurately guessing what you mean, perhaps: “Remember, if you know any bright people who would enjoy the site, you can invite them with the INVITE button!”

@SavoirFaire Since it wasn’t in Meta, I assumed it wasn’t about our brilliant cohort!

stanleybmanly's avatar

@SavoirFaire I would just LOVE to see you juggle this one!

We can only aspire to being as intelligent and good looking (not to mention good natured) as the Mods.

smudges's avatar

“You seriously have no idea what people are dealing with in their personal lives, so just be nice, it’s that simple.”

Let’s get to the root of the question.

Is brightness important, at all?

It seems like the real attributes necessary – here or anywhere – are:

1) ability to communicate clearly and cogently
2) adding original thoughts or opinions to the conversation

Neither of those are predicated on brightness. Much more on other abilities, like organizing and writing down thoughts.

All of that said, this is still a wacky question.

Patty_Melt's avatar

I think it would need to be buried within a lot of useless rhetoric, or it wouldn’t matter the wording used.

capet's avatar

I would try posting a question: “In what way can a moderator say that this website is populated by not bright enough people?”

Well one way to try to ensure that only reasonably intelligent people become, and stay, members is to enforce higher quality writing standards, and spank the hell out of them if they can’t comply!

Disclaimer: This is not Mensa Connect, all are welcome here regardless of IQ score.

stanleybmanly's avatar

We all might prefer high standards, but I shouldn’t think that the purpose of our club. We all bring to the table whatever tools we have, and as long as I can make out what I read, I’m satisfied. I will definitely bitch when I can’t make it out. And that should do the trick.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
kruger_d's avatar

The phrase “light fare” comes to mind. Who is your audience? Is the purpose to draw in more articulate users or to warn them away? If the intent is to discourage users from posting fluffy topics, that seems futile unless the rules explicitly prohibit them.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Response moderated
Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Poseidon's avatar

Having been a Moderator on other Q&A sites I can say that a genuine and caring Moderator would not say such a thing.

A proper Moderator would treat EVERY subscriber with respect and would not judge them.

flo's avatar

Can a modeator say ( without actually saying it, as I wrote above) only to the poster of a question (i.e in editing), “the question [would] make no sense” to the users of this website, since they are so clueless.

@flo I think what the moderator might be saying is that the question makes no sense as asked, rather than that the user base is clueless. And yes, I think it is valid for a mod to say that to a poster. It’s a judgment on the question as phrased, not on the poster or the readers.

SavoirFaire's avatar

[Mod Says]

Again, this is not based on anything that was actually written by a Fluther moderator. That said, we do sometimes point out when a question is worded in a nonsensical way (e.g., “What is do more the fun place?”). The problem is not that the users of the site cannot figure it out. The problem is that the question does not meet Fluther’s writing standards. Many jellies are able to decipher nonsensical questions when they come up, but they shouldn’t have to because the question standards require more of askers. We don’t require questions (or answers, for that matter) to be perfect. We do, however, require them to be generally intelligible. And since questions can be edited, we have somewhat higher standards for them than we do for answers.

flo's avatar

I stated 2 times without actually saying (writing it), (Edited to add:i.e I never read it/ heard it said by any one in any website I have known so why refer to Flurther? By the way can a moderator be only “brave” (quote unquote brave) enough to moderate some (Edited too add:people’s questions) and never others?

flo's avatar

….Others i.e his/her puppet masters?

What are you saying @flo ? ?

I think she’s asking if the mods play favorites. In my experience they do not.

@Dutchess_III But she has stated twice that it’s not about Fluther so what is it about??

Other websites have moderators….maybe she’s referring to one of them.

^^ well, yeah, that’s what I was saying, although she says she is not referring to any website she has known.

So WHAT is she referring to?

stanleybmanly's avatar

Once again, I’m telling you all that there is peculiar, even demonic talent involved here. All of those “off topic” moderations above amount to arbitrary and rather cavalier dismissal of the fact as well as pointless obliteration of the evidence that we are dealing with language NONE of us understand. There is no getting around that topic and the deletion of conversations around the issue is short sighted, pompous and counterproductive.

flo's avatar
composing

flo is crafting a response...

flo (13204 points)