flutherother's avatar

What problems have you had or are having with your home?

Asked by flutherother (32121points) 1 month ago

Things like draughts, ill fitting doors, damp, loose roof tiles, woodworm or dry rot.

canidmajor's avatar

My house is 101 years old. It is not a “lovely old vintage home”, it was a tract house in 1920.
So, to answer your question, All Of Them. The wiring is funky, the plumbing is funky, insulation has been quite a workaround, and every time the wind really blows (I live in hurricane land) things shift oddly. Bit by bit I keep disaster at bay, but it’s a lot like adopting a pissy adult dog.

But, hey, it’s my cranky old dog, and we have learned to work together. :-)

product's avatar

My house was built in 1923. What isn’t wrong with it?

It’s gutted. No hot water. No shower or tub.
I DO have a washer and dryer AND a toilet. I am blessed.

kritiper's avatar

The drain for the washing machine backs up and overflows. I fixed it for the time being by restricting the drain hose on the washer with a screw type C-clamp..

Also I have no kitchen cabinets.

flutherother's avatar

@kritiper I had that problem recently. The problem wasn’t with the washing machine but the outflow plumbing which had become blocked with gunge. I cleared it out with a plumber’s snake then I poured some nearly boiling water through it. It did the trick.

kritiper's avatar

@flutherother I did all that. There was just too much water going through a 2” pipe of some length. And the pipe where the washing machine hose goes may be too low in the wall.

Put a large screw driver in it to release the vacuum.

YARNLADY's avatar

The main issue I have trying to keep it clean. There are smudges around the switches that refuse to by cleaned off, and the baseboards are dusty. Recently I noticed the ceilings have splashes on them, from the boys playing “geyser” with their sodas, and the ceilings are textured, which can’t be washed (probably asbestos ).

@kritiper Same. The high efficiency washer is a bit too much for the old pipes. I just wash small or mediun loads instead for now.

Also I have no furniture except for 1 recliner that’s in my room. Rick makes do with camp chairs.
BUT I HAVE 3 DECORS!!!

raum's avatar

We just fixed our sewer lateral.
Merry Christmas to us.