Brian1946's avatar

Do you agree with this list ranking the best rock bands of the 1970's?

Asked by Brian1946 (29990points) 5 days ago

List.

What bands would you add or delete?

What rankings would you change?

I think Fleetwood Mac should be in the top ten and Bad Company should be somewhere on that list. Was Bad Company there and I missed it? I’d probably move some others around if I thought about it. I’m actually not a huge fan of The Rolling Stones and would probably move then down a few places, but so many people love them. I’m good with Zeppelin being number one.

Caravanfan's avatar

Caravan obviously should be at #1.

This link is too maddeningly slow.

JLoon's avatar

From the 70’s ?? I wasn’t even a zygote.

Maybe I’ll forward this to my dad and see if he bites.

That list is too heavily weighted/slanted to metal. But as someone who actively bought records and lived in a college town for most of the seventies, that list is way off.

Fleetwood Mac should definitely be in the top 5, their albums dominated for three solid years.. Rush and Styx but no Doobie Brothers? No Santana?

The list is bogus.

Forever_Free's avatar

Music is music. I do think this list is a bit odd and has some troubles.

Do they think that single artist names like Santana, Elton John, Peter Frampton, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Alice Cooper, Billy Joel, David Bowe, Neil Young, Bob F’ing Dylan didn’t have a band?

Questionable on their 25 to omit Dire Straits, Thin Lizzy, Doobie Brothers, Supertramp, Boston, Steve Miller, Faces, CCR, Heart, Cream, Traffic, Van Halen, Cheap Trick.

Deep Purple above the Stones?
The Doors were mostly the 60’s

List are just lists. I also hate this format of finding NEXT and the page populates to have you click something else. It is their way to get advertiser $$

Rubbish

^^I thought about single artists too. I guess that’s a different category. I loved Pat Benatar in the day, although most of her stuff is 1980’s.

Forever_Free's avatar

^^ Love Pat. Yes on mostly the 80’s but started in the 70’s. Her and her husband still rock!
I saw her this past summer with Melissa Ethridge on the bill.

canidmajor's avatar

Their ranking order seems really odd to me. I would have had the Dead and Jethro Tull in the top 5, otherwise it would just be too much trouble to organize.

Zaku's avatar

I’m not willing to click through 25 pages of click-bait to see the list. I’m sure I wouldn’t agree, as my tastes aren’t particularly mainstream, and Bowie and Hendrix would be high on a list, if I made one.

jca2's avatar

Jellies say there’s click bait and the list is slow. Can someone please give me a summary of who’s on the list, so I don’t have to deal with click bait and slowness? Thanks!

canidmajor's avatar

@jca2 I th8nk you may not understand what you’re asking. Go see the first page or two and see how much trouble it would be to recreate the list.

jca2's avatar

OK I looked at the list and here it is for anybody who finds it an arduous task (which it was).

I find it easier to look at rather than clicking through pages of annoying click bait.

25 Kinks
24 ELO
23 Tull
22 Steely Dan
21 Rush
20 BOC
19 Aerosmith
18 Kiss
17 Grateful Dead
16 Chicago
15 Fleetwood Mac
14 Syx
13 AC/DC
12 Sabbath
11 Allman Bros
10 Kansas
9 Skynyrd
8 Queen
7 Doors
6 Stones
5 Floyd
4 Deep Purple
3 Eagles
2 Who
1 Zep

rockfan's avatar

Having Eagles above Grateful Dead, Floyd, and Queen is kind of insane to me.

Forever_Free's avatar

@rockfan I agree. If it has anything to do with chart history then the Eagles would be high on all time, but not the 70’s rock list.

jca2's avatar

AC/DC’s breakout hit album was Back in Black which came out in 1980 (I googled it). I wouldn’t really consider them one of the greatest of the 70s since they didn’t come to prominence until the 80s.

Forever_Free's avatar

@jca2 yes, most of this list is crap for the definition.

jca2's avatar

It’s click bait.

Actually, a band that I would substitute for AC/DC would be Van Halen. I’m surprised they’re not on the list.

Zaku's avatar

Thanks for the list, @jca2!

I’m not one to know or care much which songs came out in which decade, or often, which bands played which songs, unless I have particular interest or experience somehow.

But, in contrast to what you said about AC/DC, I notice:
It’s A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock ‘N’ Roll) (1975)
T.N.T. (1975)
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (1976)
Big Balls (1976)
Let There Be Rock (1977)
Shot Down In Flames (1979)
Highway to Hell (1979)

I guess it depends on whether by “greatness” one cares about their sales, the quality of the music produced, or what. When I (rarely) tend to rate musicians, I do it based on how good I think their music is. I like Highway to Hell better than Back In Black. ;-)

Zaku's avatar

One much better list (particularly because it’s longer so leaves out fewer musicians) is:
https://top40weekly.com/top-100-artists-of-the-70s/

My own list of musicians I like from the 70s, is probably incomplete, because I don’t think of music in terms of decades, and I often don’t really have a handle on all the music I like, and who wrote it, let alone when. But a brief attempt to make a list comes out like this, also in roughly reverse order of how much I estimate I like their music from the 70s:

Kinks
Heart
Lynyrd Skynyrd (well, Free Bird)
Bee Gees
Queen
Elton John
John Lennon
Stevie Wonder
Pink Floyd
Grateful Dead
AC/DC
Rolling Stones
Sex Pistols
Iggy Pop
Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac
1 David Bowie

@rockfan I noticed Queen wasn’t high enough on the list for me too, and then I forgot to mention it. Not only was Queen great in their day, but some of their songs live on in ways that other bands mentioned don’t really match.

Also, what about Genesis?

Brian1946's avatar

@jca2

I also thank you for your work in posting a clutter- and labor-free list. :)

I flagged the OP so I can add it to the details.

I’ll repeat it here to enhance its presence:

25 Kinks
24 ELO
23 Tull
22 Steely Dan
21 Rush
20 BOC
19 Aerosmith
18 Kiss
17 Grateful Dead
16 Chicago
15 Fleetwood Mac
14 Syx
13 AC/DC
12 Sabbath
11 Allman Bros
10 Kansas
9 Skynyrd
8 Queen
7 Doors
6 Stones
5 Floyd
4 Deep Purple
3 Eagles
2 Who
1 Zep

smudges's avatar

Sorry, I agree with most of them that are there, just don’t agree with their positions. no BTO? Yes Journey Moody Blues Blondie ZZTop REO Speedwagon The Police, Alice Cooper Tom Petty?

There are many that I would add, and a few I would take off. I know the Kinks have done at least one song I loved, but can’t even think of what they’ve done.

Actually, if I were to name every band/musician I like/love, there would be about 400–500 I think. I even liked The Archies and The Monkees! :D

RayaHope's avatar

They HAD rock bands in the 70’s? My gramps might know this.