General Question

waterskier2007's avatar

If i am traveling to canada what do i need to bring?

Asked by waterskier2007 (2050points) November 2nd, 2008

passport, birth certificate, what

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

16 Answers

Snoopy's avatar

Check out the state department’s website for the most accurate info….

I think if you are traveling by car you just need your birth certificate still…
By plane, for sure, you need a passport.

Mtl_zack's avatar

snow shoes, tent, polar bear hunting rifle, an axe, a plad shirt and a hockey stick.

Melonking's avatar

Bacon, bacon oh and more bacon :D You can never have too much bacon…. and maybe a cupcake or two… mmmmmmm bacon cupcakes.. whaa YUCK forget the bacon cupcakes. Just bring bacon :)

shadling21's avatar

A dogsled is imperative, lest you plan to walk everywhere.

I’m kidding. Bring whatever you’d bring anywhere. Check weather forecast, as per usual. Enjoy your stay!

waterskier2007's avatar

i didnt mean like what clothes and crap. i mean what form of identification do i need to cross the border. i am traveling from the US by the way

Mtl_zack's avatar

if youre going to montreal and to a bar or club, nothing. 18 is the drinking age, and as we say here in quebec “the drinking age is just a suggestion”

shadling21's avatar

Well, here are some links. 1, 2, 3, 4.

According to #1:
“Canada technically does not require a passport for US citizens arriving by plane to Canada, however, the US does require a passport to get back in; therefore no passport – no boarding a plane to Canada.”

I just did a simple Google search. It was fun. You should try it sometime.

sanbuu's avatar

all of the above plus money since the US dollar is worth less on Canada.

Skaggfacemutt's avatar

I don’t know what is required, but I would definitely have a passport and a driver’s license. And be prepared to be fleeced at the border if you’re driving. The border guards kind of look into your vehicle and decide what to charge you for customs. I think they just try to guess how much money you might have on you.

shadling21's avatar

Sorry. That was my first time being rude on this site. It didn’t feel right. But, yeah, a Google search can solve loads of problems, and I was just wondering why you hadn’t done that first.

You could also call the border and ask them. Apparently requirements are different, depending on your mode of transportation.

kruger_d's avatar

I go frequently by car. Never have been asked for more than a photo ID getting in. Getting back you need a photo ID and birth certificate, or better yet a passport, which is not yet required, but seems to get you through with fewer questions.

Also, I often hear you get the best exchange rate if you use a credit card.

artificialard's avatar

In my experience the best exchange rate is to use your local bank or barring that a major bank of the locale. I know my VISA automatically slaps on 2% extra on their exchange rate which also slightly elevated.

Also keep in mind that you may be able to get a refund on some of our comparatively high taxes as a visitor to Canada. Read through the conditions of the link carefully, keep all your receipts and avoid the ‘convenience’ private tax refund services that will do it immediately as they unnecessarily add a surcharge.

Try to avoid using US dollars directly with retailers. We’re confused by how all US bills are the same colour. Of course it could work to your advantage (only our $20’s are green).

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther