General Question

Mtl_zack's avatar

United Kingdom, Great Britain, Britain or England?

Asked by Mtl_zack (6762points) November 28th, 2008

I often hear these names interchangeably. Which one refers to what?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

damien's avatar

Starting with the smallest, England is the southern part of the main island (the darker orange part on this map). The main island (including scotland and wales but not including ireland and other small isles) is Great Britain and the United Kingdom is the whole lot – England, Scotland and Wales and surrounding isles. I think Britain on it’s own just refers to UK as opposed to Great Britain, but I’m not 100% sure..

Mtl_zack's avatar


Lurve :D

Lightlyseared's avatar

Depends whether you are looking at a political map or a geographical map.

Geographically, The British Isles is an archipelago consisting of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and many smaller surrounding islands.

Politically, the propper name for the UK is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It is the island of Great Britain the nothern part of Ireland (Nothern Ireland) and the nearby islands (but not the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands). Usually, it is shortened to United Kingdom, UK or Britain.

If you’re really interested Wikipedia has an entire page (quite a long one) trying to explain it all.

mea05key's avatar

United Kingdom = England+ North Ireland+ Scotland and Wales

Britain=Great Britain = England I suppose during the old times

Comedian's avatar

No matter which of those you are in, they are all great!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther