General Question

justin's avatar

What is the name for the British slang where words are replaced with others that rhyme with the original word?

Asked by justin (179points) February 13th, 2009 from iPhone

I first heard it in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

eponymoushipster's avatar

Use your loaf otherwise you’ll be in for some Barney Rubble!

What is that Judy Dench? oggy oggy oggy oy oy oy!

yes, cockney rhyming slang

LKidKyle1985's avatar

So thats wtf those brits are saying! zomg I couldn’t figure out for the longest time. Now i know their secrets.

davidshoukry's avatar

Yep – glad you Shermans are now in the picture! :)

janbb's avatar

Oh, my aching plates of meat (feet); went out dancing last night with the trouble and strife (wife.)

Tantigirl's avatar

And I’m glad that the septics are in the picture too.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther