General Question

Elfman's avatar

What are the white trailers you see behind airplanes in a blue sky?

Asked by Elfman (449points) October 15th, 2007
Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

tekn0lust's avatar

contrails or vapor trails

bob's avatar

those are called contrails!

That’s a great word. They’re trails of condensed water—condensation trails—made by the water vapor coming off the plane’s engines.

Gavel's avatar

When I was a child – more years ago than I care to disclose – I asked my father and I thought said they were “paper trails”. I had a vision of guys shoveling reams of white waste paper out the back of the plane. I had no idea why, but I was just a little kid…

robmandu's avatar

just throwing out a wild conspiracy theory here…

if nothing else, there are several topics there that make for interesting reading. fun to freak out your friends and coworkers with the craziness.

robmandu's avatar

sorry, if you do look at, look for the links about “chemtrails”... which is what I intended to say in direct answer to your question.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther