General Question

nomtastic's avatar

what is it called when one labor union strikes in solidarity with another in another place? does it have a name?

Asked by nomtastic (979points) November 26th, 2006
Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

AriellaCG's avatar
It could be a sympathy strike
AriellaCG's avatar
I think that a sympathy strick is the closest to what you are looking for
evander's avatar
sympathy or solidarity strike--I've heard both used
sarahclif's avatar
sympathy strike if it's with the same employer and solidarity strike if not?
QuizMaster's avatar

Secondary Picketing. (That’s the British name anyway).

Famously, Margaret Thatcher made it illegal.

mammal's avatar


CaptainHarley's avatar

Sympathy Strike.

Some courts have held that a sympathy strike or walkout is not in violation of a no strike clause in an employment contract. Honoring a picket line is the most common form of sympathy strike. Workers who honor legal primary pickets at their place of employment may be replaced but not disciplined. A worker who honors a primary, economic picket may be permanently replaced.

There is considerable case law on the topic.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther