General Question

Kingkamandi's avatar

What is it called when you accidentally say a completely different word than the one intended?

Asked by Kingkamandi (149points) April 5th, 2009

For example, if I mean to say “I’d like to buy this book, please.” but instead it comes out “I’d like to buy this orange, please? What is this phenomena called? Aphasia, a Spoonerism, what?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

13 Answers

The_Compassionate_Heretic's avatar

Are you thinking of a Freudian slip?

janbb's avatar

I think that’s aphasia; unconsciously substituting the completely wrong word.

Mtl_zack's avatar

Brain fart

Jeruba's avatar

A slip of the tongue.

It’s aphasia when you are suffering from a brain condition that causes you to lose your ability to write or speak. A small verbal lapse like this isn’t aphasia.

fullOFuselessINFO's avatar

thats called “OH SHIT”

and it happens to me on a daily basis

augustlan's avatar

I’m with Jeruba on this one.

Kingkamandi's avatar


casheroo's avatar

i do this all the time, with names. i call my cat my sons name, or my husband my brothers name…things like that. i get it from my mother.

Kingkamandi's avatar

A freudian slip is “when you say one thing but mean your mother!”

Zen's avatar

@Kingkamandi I hadn’t heard that one in a penis. Thanks!

_bob's avatar


janbb's avatar

Isn’t there a neurological name for it as well?

Jack79's avatar

Isn’t it called “lapsus”?

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther