General Question

2late2be's avatar

My sister told me that she has blood in her stools, which doctor she should go to get her checked up?

Asked by 2late2be (2286points) April 19th, 2009 from iPhone

And how bad can this be? I’m kind of scared…
I know that sometimes it is because they try so hard to poop that they can bleed, but this is not her case, please help!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

asmonet's avatar

The Emergency Room Doctor.

If you have bloody stool, you go.
And my mother always told me to take a sample, but I’ve never had the occasion.

Causes range from little insignificant things all the way to cancer.
You can read more here.

Darwin's avatar

Depending on how her insurance works and how much blood is involved, she may need to see her regular doctor first to be referred to a gastroenterologist. If bleeding is copious then the Emergency Room is the place to go.

asmonet's avatar

@Darwin: Yeah, you’re right I forgot to mention the amount of blood makes it more or less urgent. Good point. :)

casheroo's avatar

you can trust me on this, most ER docs do nothing from bloody stool..even if it’s pouring out of you.

Tell her to either get a referral from her primary care physician, to see a gastroenterologist. They will want to do a colonoscopy. If the blood is IN her stool, that’s more worrisome than if it’s just on her stool…if that makes sense. If it’s just on her stool, it could be hemmorhoids or a fissure. Both are really no big deal, and doctors don’t do a lot for them..depending on the severity.

knitfroggy's avatar

Also the color of the blood-if it’s like fresh red blood it could be as easy as hemherroids. I think darker blood could mean something internal. I would go to my family doctor first.

asmonet's avatar

Hm, I was always told, blood IN the stool is a serious find and should be treated immediately. If it’s the middle of the night, I would go to an ER, but if it was during office hours, I would go to my doctor first most likely, for no other reason than cost.

Like cash said, if it’s ON the stool, not a big deal.

The_Compassionate_Heretic's avatar

Go to a general practitioner and then she will likely get a referral to a specialist if it’s something that needs treatment.

augustlan's avatar

If she is bleeding profusely, go to the ER. If not, her regular doc is the place to start… at least with a phone call. If the blood is bright red (like a cut) it is most likely not internal bleeding. Dark blood most likely is, and is more serious. Good luck!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther