General Question

synthoid's avatar

My dog swallowed a laser pointer! Will he be okay?

Asked by synthoid (8points) December 24th, 2007

It happened 10 minutes ago. My older brother says laser pointers have nuclear radiation. :-(

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

syz's avatar

Laser pointers do not have nuclear radiation – they do have batteries. You should contact your local emergency clinic. They will probably recommend that you induce vomiting under medical supervision (due to the choking risk). If you do wish to attmept pre-emptive action, you must do it immediately before the pointer passes out of the stomach and into the intestines. The most serious concern is that the laser pointer will not be able to pass through the GI tract and may cause an obstruction. GI obstructions can be life threatening and require (expensive) surgical intervention. If you do nothing, you may be lucky and it passes – but if your dog stops eating, developes vomiting or diarrhea, seek medical attention immediately.

elahnz's avatar

Sure it wasn’t your Pointer that swallowed a laser dog?

Trance24's avatar

@elahnz – Very inappropriate I think. This is a serious matter.

Response moderated
luckyhalo's avatar

If it does “SHOOP DA WHOOP” make sure it doesn’t come out as a royal rainbow. If it does call the vet immediately!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther