General Question

TheKitchenSink's avatar

Is there a freeware program that will allow me to simply hold down a key to restrict my mouse movemement to either the X or Y plane?

Asked by TheKitchenSink (439points) December 31st, 2007

Like, hold down Shift, for example, and I could only move my mouse up and down exactly, or left and right exactly. If so, where can I download it? I used to have this functionality on my old laptop with the touchpad controls, but I don’t now, and I want it back. It was so useful.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

Perchik's avatar

I’ve seen this function in graphics programs but never as a standalone program. However, I don’t really see the use for it outside of a graphics program. Good luck

TheKitchenSink's avatar

…thanks a lot. And there are many, many uses.

ccatron's avatar

I’m curious to hear some of those uses, because I can’t come up with any. Please share, it may also help find what you are looking for.

TheKitchenSink's avatar

Well for one, playing a game like Falling Sand; granted it would be similar to graphic design, but quite different in actuality. Also, aligning things. Sometimes you want to drag + drop things pixel-perfect, and once you have it aligned perfectly on one plane, you sure as hell don’t want to mess it up by trying to drag it flawlessly along the other. Destined for failure. I suppose by “many” I didn’t mean “varied,” as opposed to frequent. As a side note, I found a program called Exact mouse that allows basically this amongs other things, but it’s not freeware…

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther