General Question

applesaucemanny's avatar

Does anyone know any songs that have bass lines like this?

Asked by applesaucemanny (1775points) July 6th, 2009

like the song Broken one by Trivium? listen to the intro bass part and see if you know any songs that have this style of playing because I want to learn more like this thanks in advance.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

18 Answers

quasi's avatar

the guy from tool.. and maybe old cliff burton come to mind.

sorry.. not songs, but bass players

jmo's avatar

listen to necrophagist

quasi's avatar

this is probably the technique your looking for.

cyndyh's avatar

Very cool stuff. Tool was the first thing that came to mind for me, too.

@quasi: Thanks for providing that video.

quasi's avatar

thats odd, i didn’t remember primus ever having a dj

claypool is def. lord of the bass. its a stretch compared to the song he posted though.

Aethelwine's avatar

bass = les claypool and flea ‘nuff said

@quasi I saw Primus back in 1994. Have you seen them?

cyndyh's avatar

If we’re just talking about “good bass” that’s a different matter than what the asker said he was looking for. If he asked for popping or two finger picking or slapping I’d have some different things to offer, but the piece he offered sounded a lot like tool in the intro.

quasi's avatar

@jonsblond yes i have seen Primus. it was wonderful

Bobbydavid's avatar

The bass player in level 42, I think mark king. Genius!

sandystrachan's avatar

Wow so reminds me of Iron Maiden . Its like three or four Maiden songs rolled into one.
Bands/People and songs to listen to for bass. Stanley Clark , Jason Newsted, Les Claypool, Chris Squire , Steve Harris , Try Orion by Cliff Burton , Fear of the dark by Maiden ( kindof sounds like this song in places )

DeanV's avatar

Chris Wostenholme (Muse) has some songs similar to that. But Tool is what came to mind for me too. And some Cliff Burton.

Aethelwine's avatar

@quasi Yeah, I didn’t post the best link to compare. :)

Strauss's avatar

I’m not sure what the style is called, but it remings me of some finger-picking styles I’ve heard on acoustic guitar. It sounds great.

DeanV's avatar

@Yetanotheruser I believe the style is called bass tapping.

Strauss's avatar

@dverhey, you mean tapping on the fretboard rather than picking at the strings?

applesaucemanny's avatar

@Yetanotheruser yes that’s what he means and that’s what it is :)

to all others, thanks for your recommendations! :)

Strauss's avatar

It adds so much speed because the artist has eight to ten fingers to fret with. It would not be possible with most instruments (guitar or bass) up to the last 20–30 years.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther