General Question

sujay's avatar

IL driving license for H-4 visa holders?

Asked by sujay (1points) July 28th, 2009

Proper way to obtain driving permit for H-4B dependent visa holders.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

1 Answer

Darwin's avatar

Like any resident of illinois, you start by going to the closest Driver Services Facility.

First you go to the CyberDriveIllinois web site before you go down there to see what you need to bring with you. It says:

“An applicant applying for a driver’s license or ID card for the first time in Illinois must present one document from each of Group A, B, C and D. Temporary Visitor Driver’s License applicants are not required to present documents from Group C. Instead, they must submit a letter on Social Security Administration letterhead, issued within 90 days prior to the date of application, verifying ineligibility for a Social Security number.”

Since you are a resident and not a temporary visitor, that means you need to go to the nearest driver’s license facility and present four documents to basically prove who you are. Assuming you had a driver’s license back home so you have proof that you know how to drive, you should present your Passport, your Alien Registration Card or whatever you have from the INS that says you are here legitimately, something that shows either a social security number for you or that explains on SS letterhead why you don’t have one, and something that shows the address where you live, such as a utility bill, a lease, or something like that.

If you are under 18, then you also need proof that you have successfully completed a driver’s education course and your parents’ written certification that you have a minimum of 50 hours of behind-the-wheel practice, including 10 hours of night time driving, and is sufficiently prepared and able to safely operate a motor vehicle.

You need to pass the written test, vision screening and possibly also a driving test, pay your fees, and you will be issued an Illinois driver’s license.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther